Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I bolted at the gate as it flung open.  I flew passed Dr. Fields, making his clothes flap from the speed.  I could feel my speed increasing too, with every step I took.  Twenty miles per hour, thirty miles per hour, then forty, then fifty, fifty five, sixty, and finally topping off at seventy miles per hour.  I could feel the dirt move beneath my feet, it flying in multiple directions as my foot struck the ground.

I soon learned that I only had to breathe inward.  My lungs were like that of birds, I only had to inhale, and the carbon dioxide escaped through the air sacks and hollow spaces in my bones.  It meant that I saved energy by not having to force the air back out, so I was constantly at full speed, much more effective than mammalian lungs.  I learned as well how useful my feathers were as well.  Just the slightest twist of my tail feathers and I could almost turn on a dime.  The sensation of running was magnificent.

I darted through the trees with speed, agility and grace that made me seem as if I was flying across the forest floor.  I jumped over a fallen tree and leapt almost ten feet into the air, and hit the ground running again.  I finally started to slow down when I caught the scent of water from a small stream.  I came to the stream, slowing down enough that I avoided skidding across the ground and started to drink, raising the crystal clear liquid to my lips.  The cool, fresh water on my dry throat felt wonderful as it rehydrated my body. 

I sat back, squatting on my haunches, taking in every little detail of my surroundings.  Birds chirping, the smell of the tall oak and pine trees, the chatter of squirrels hidden by the tree’s branches.  As I sat there awed by the simple beauty of nature, I heard the crackle of a short-range radio.

“Bravo Two, this is Bravo One, we have it on the grid, it’s in area 12 by the stream.”

My instincts flew into high alert.  So this is what the good doctor had meant by surviving.  He had sent men in after me to try and destroy me.  These thoughts filled me with a sort of primeval rage.  I could feel my hair and feathers stand on end.  I cocked my head to listen for the Bravos’ locations, sniffing the air as well, trying to pick up their scent to tell how many there was.  My nose picked up four of them, each team having two members.  They were a few hundred yards off, giving me ample time to plan an ambush.

I quickly jumped onto an overhead branch from a tree and climbed just enough so that I was hidden by the leaves.  I did not have to wait long, no more than thirty seconds had passed, when the first Bravo team appeared near the stream.

“Bravo One, this is Bravo Two, the creature is not here, repeat, the creature is not here.”

“Search the area, the radar says it’s there.”

“Roger, Bravo One.”

They started to scan the area, poking through the brush and looking in trees.  One of them came within striking distance of my position, my muscles tensed, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.  He looked around half-heartedly, finally turning his back to my tree and that was the moment that I wanted. 

I lunged straight at him from my perch with a bloodcurdling scream.  He spun around, just as I hit him square in the chest.  I heard the satisfying crack of ribs and the air rushing from his lungs on impact.  He fell to the ground with me on top of him, and I rolling away once I was sure he was not an immediate threat.

His partner turned as he heard his comrade hit the ground, only to find him incapacitated, with me rising to my feet looking at him with a look of pure animalistic rage.  I raised myself to my full height, thrust out my chest, fanned out my tail feathers, spread my arms out wide and let out a terrifying roar.