Chapter 12

Chapter 12

A nightmare. A terrible, gruesome, terrifying, nightmare. That is what awaited me when I fell to sleep. At first I was with Sora, everything was as it should, but then, dark shadows wrapped themselves around Sora and started to pull her away. She screamed my name as the shadows tore her away from me. I sprung to my feet and ran after her and this monstrous force, but I never seemed to get any closer. I ran harder and faster, but never made any ground, Sora's screams echoing in the dark abyss.

Eventually, creatures forged of shadow blocked my way, in vain, I attempted to avoid them, but one of them caught me in its grasp, refusing to let go. I roared in anger, Sora's screams still calling to me to save her. Then something else formed. At first it was just a shadow, but it soon gained a human form, great black wings sprouted from its back , and then it opened its eyes, bright yellow sulfuric pits, and then smiled at me, a smile that makes mad men seem sane.

“Why do you run so, little birdy?” It said to me mockingly, “Why do you not just give up?”

I struggled against the creature that held me, but it just emitted a low rumble, its grip never loosening.

“Oh quit fighting little birdy, you know that she cannot be saved so why bother? Though she is kinda hot, I'd definitely 'save' that.”

“Because I love her!” I roared in fury, wishing I could kill this shadow man that dared say such things of Sora, “And if you ever say such things about her again, I will kill you!”

Its smile only widened, “Well if that's the case, then here you go.” the creature snapped his fingers and Sora, chained by shadow, appeared.

“Sora!” I yelled, but the sound soon was caught in my throat as she turned her eyes to me. They were no longer teal jewel, but instead, they had been infested with darkness, her eyes now nothing but black pits devoid of life.

“I think she looks better now, don't you?” the creature said, its hand gently stroking her cheek, it laugh softly as it did this, an evil psychotic laugh.

“Don't you dare touch her!” I screamed, I could feel tears running down my face, “What have you done to her you hell spawn!”

Its right hand flickered for a second, then reformed as a blade, the dark metal glistened dangerously, “I have shown you how futile your struggle to save her is,” his empty hand gently moving her bronze hair over her shoulders to reveal the back of her neck, “Because deep down you know...you can' save her....” and he swung the blade at her neck.

“NOOO!!!”

“Drom! Wake up!”

I was jolted to conciousness by Price and screams that I came to realize as my own. I was covered in a cold sweat from my nightmare, my heart was racing, my breathing short and shallow. I am glad I awoke when I did. I did not wish to see its end.

“Drom are you alright?” Price says to me, his voice touched with concern.

“Yes, I am alright. It was just a nightmare.” I said as I attempted to slow down my thundering heart.

“Must have been pretty bad to make you like this.”

“It was horrible, and I will not let it come true.” I said fiercely, yet in the shadows from the hall, I could almost see that thing, with its sulfuric, yellow eyes, smiling at me and shaking its head.

I pushed myself up from the couch, its springs squeaking in protest, and I walked over the to the light switch to the hall and flipped it on. I may have just imagined it, but I am sure that I heard an angered hiss as the darkness gave way to the light flooding in from the overhead bulbs.

Price eyed me curiously, “Why did you turn on the light?”

“I thought I saw something in the shadows.” though I did not show it, I could feel a humorless smile on the inside, that is what you get for speaking about Sora in such a manner, I thought venomously.

Still eyeing me curiously, Price got to his feet and went over to the table, “Now that you're somewhat rested, let's go over the plan to get you on the inside of Plaines' lab.”

Leaving the hall light on, I walked over to the table and sat, listening to the information Price was able to get. The warehouse where it was hidden was not far from where I had been the other night, so it would be easy to find. Guards shifted every twelve hours, so I would have to find away to get past them silently, or silence them quickly before an alarm could be risen. The splices I would be looking for would be on the third sub-level on the east side. The only sane ones in the entire facility.

“I didn't find out their species, but I did find out that there are three of them.” Price told me.

“And how many are there total in the facility?”

“About a hundred.”

I let out a sigh, “I will just have to find the three doors that only say 'caution' instead of 'danger'.” I said humorlessly.

I would need to 'borrow' a keycard to open their cell doors, so it looks like I will have to silence the guards at the entrance.

“How many guards are there at any given time?” I asked Price.

Price rubbed his head in thought, “Our lab had about fifty at any time, so I would say about twenty to twenty five.”

I cocked an eyebrow, “So few guards for so many splices?”

“Our lab had less, but they could be more dangerous, always aggressive and unstable. From what I gathered from the drunken guard, mammalian splices seem to be more calm compared to ours. Must have to do with the fragile nature of our DNA stock.”

I nodded in agreement, “Is there anything else I need to know?”

“Get in, get out. Don't draw this out, find them quickly and bring them back here, and be careful Drom.”

I rose from the table and went to the window, the cool night air felt good on my sweat-wet body, “Do not worry, I will be careful.” With that, I slipped back into the inky darkness of the night.

Price watched as Drom, disappeared back into the shadows. He was filled with worry, but he was certain that he would succeed. Price went over to the window and as he was about to close it, his cell phone rang in his pocket. “Hello, this is Price.”

“Hey Price, this is John.” the man said on the other line, “How much did you let me drink last night?”

Price smiled, he could almost hear John's head pounding from his hangover, “I tried to stop you, but you insisted that you could handle it.” Price half lied, he needed him as drunk as possible to get the info out of him.

“If I ever say that again, hit me, but anyway that's not the reason I called. I thought you could use some points with your boss.”

“What are you talking about?” Price asked, slightly concerned now.

“Didn't you hear? Fields put out a bounty on some escaped creation quite a nice chunk of change too. Hear the bounty was more insurance though, in case it didn't come back on its own. Like it would head back toward that place, but anyway keep an eye out, the words been spread to everyone on the payroll in Washington.”

“Thanks for the tip.” Price lied.

“No problem. I need to sleep so later.”

As soon as John hung up, Price bolted out the window, and flew up the fire escape. When he reached the roof, he started yelling for Drom, and looking around hoping to see him, but he was already gone, swallowed by the night.