Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The next month was filled with survival training in the forest.  The time increased with every successful mission, from five minutes to fifteen and up to nearly two hours.  At the start of each training mission it was the same as well.  The buzzer would sound, and I would bolt for the trees.  The number of men increased as well, going from four up to thirty.  I learned how to survive longer and how to plan attacks and my ambushes, then execute them with perfection.

 I developed the ability as well to reappear and disappear with ease.  I became like a wraith, able to eliminate half of a squad before the other half noticed, and when they did, I was already gone, hiding in the trees, planning my next move.  They started to call me a forest phantom, others called me a demon, on account of my eyes that would seem to glow at times, and growls that seemed to come from nowhere when they could not see me.  Dr. Fields was ecstatic with my progress, but concerned as well, as was I. 

Along with these progresses, I was starting to change as well.  My attacks kept becoming more and more animalistic, as was the way that I would more often than not, track down the Bravo teams and attack them.  My raptor side was wanting to come to the surface more, sometimes it seemed to push passed my human side and take control, but so far I was able to keep it in check.  I kept remembering too what I had promised Sora, that I would not become like the others, I would not become a monster.

One day after I had been let out of the tube, Dr. Fields and the two guards escorting me, we did not head outside for the training exercise.

“Why are we not heading outside?” I asked Dr. Fields.

“”Because you seem to be losing your grip on reality.” He said sharply, “You are becoming more and more animalistic and I will not allow that to happen, I have invested too much time and money in you to have you become damaged.”

We continued walking, until we came to a strange set of doors.  The seemed to be made out of wood and paper, and they slide open.

“In this room is the man that shall resume your training, so stay alert and learn, because if you become damaged, I will personally take a gun from a guard and shoot you, understand?”

“Yes sir.”

“Good now go in.”

With that, the doctor turned and walks away, back to the lab.  The guards take up their posts at the doors, and as they do I open them and enter.  The room itself took my breath away.  The floor was made out of bamboo shoots that felt soft yet hard underfoot.  The walls were like the doors, made of wood and paper.  Hanging on the walls were beautiful Japanese caricatures, and large white pieces of paper with symbols written on them.  At the far end of the room was a small indentation that housed a sword rack, complete with katana, wakasashi, and tanto. 

As I marveled at the elegance of the room, I heard footsteps behind me and spun around, raptorial instincts kicking in, I make myself appear large and utter a deep growl.  The man before me does nothing, just watches me, then speaks with a heavy Japanese accent.

“Are you quite done, young sparrow?”

I stop growling, suddenly curious as to whom this man is.  He is small, barely clearing five feet tall.  He has long white hair, held back in a high samurai style, his long beard is a similar color.  He has small dark eyes, betraying his ethnicity, that seem to catch every detail before him.  I cock my head confused a bit as to how this small Japanese man is going to teach me, when without warning, he lunges at me and attempts a jumping kick for my head.

I step out of the way, my reflexes aided by the raptor genes.  I counterattack, attempting a savage kick, aimed at the man’s head.  With one hand, he stops the kick as if it was a mere fly buzzing around him.  I am stunned by this, I did not expect him to be this strong.  He gives me a mischievous grin, then grabs my leg in both hands and flips me onto the floor.  I hit the bamboo floor with a dull thud.