Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I ran down the halls trying to find the correct door to outside.  Someone must have signaled the alarm, because red lights were flashing and a high-pitched alarm was blaring over unseen speakers.  I heard thunderous footsteps coming from around the corner and prepared to fight. 

Ten guards armed with assault shotguns and stun rods came from around the corner.  Half readied their shotguns and the others charged up their stun rods.  I did a sliding kick and took out the first two, then spun up to my feet taking out a third.  One swung his stun rod at me, but I ducked under the attack knocked it from his hand and then flung him into three of the guards with shotguns.  I took the last guard with the stun rod, broke his arm holding the weapon and threw him into the remaining two guards.

With that finished, I continued to run catching the scent of fresh air.  I finally found the door and used the ID I had taken from Dr. Fields and opened the door.  I bolted through the door and ran into the open.  I headed to the training area and hopped the fence.  I ran and ran until I reached the far end of the small woodland and without breaking my stride, leapt over the fence and into a land outside of the labs control.

Even when I knew I was far enough way, I kept running.  I ran and ran until I nearly collapsed from exhaustion and almost fell into a clearing.  The clearing was ringed with trees and at the center was a small lake of a deep blue with a small beach on one side.  I sat there trying to catch my breath and looked up at the sky.  The sun was setting, turning the blue sky a mixture of colors.  My first sunset had a multitude of gorgeous colors, going from gold to violet.  I started to climb a tree on the edge of the clearing, needing a safe place to sleep for the night.  I finally got situated on a branch and went to sleep.  My last thought that night was, I did it Sora, I finally did it.

I awoke the next morning to the sound of birds in nearby trees.  I groggily opened my eyes and looked around.  The clearing was empty and the lake’s surface was like polished glass.  After making sure the area was clear, I looked to the sky.  The sun was not half way through the blue sky, signaling it was late morning.  I stretched slowly and breathed in the fresh air.  I froze. 

I sniffed the air again and positioned myself on my branch so I could see the north side of the clearing.  A deer attentively walked out from the trees and headed to the lake.  My stomach rumbled quietly and I locked on to this new creature.  It was a doe, no more than a few years old.  I had not eaten for some time and my escape yesterday had used up most of my energy reserves.  I dropped out of the tree and soundlessly hit the ground.  The deer was at the lake, its head down as it drank, unaware of its surroundings. 

I slowly crept closer.  When I was within ten yards, I stepped on a twig I had not noticed.  The doe’s head snapped up from drinking and turned to me.  I bolted at the animal as it tried to escape.  It did not get far before I leapt onto its back and brought it to the ground.  It did not suffer long as I killed it, snapping its neck with one quick motion.  I then cut it open with a killing claw and proceeded to eat.  The warm meat tasted better than any gourmet steak in any restaurant.  I could feel it returning my lost strength. 

As I was eating, I heard a rustle of leaves behind me.   Not knowing what was behind me, I turned and hissed defensively, thinking something wanted to steal my kill.  A hooded figure was emerging from the trees as I hissed.  The hiss did not scare them as they moved towards me.  Then I caught a scent I should have before.  The figure came over to me and hugged me.  I returned the hug, holding them close and whispered,

“Hello Sora.”

“Hi Drom.”

We stepped apart and Sora giggles at me.