Chapter 10

Chapter 10

            When I returned back to Price’s,  coming back through the window, it was midmorning.  The sun almost a quarter of the way through the sky.  As I stepped through the open window, I paused to observe the apartment, something I had not done the night before.  To my left, was a small 24” TV set on a wood stand, a small couch sat five feet away.  Just passed the couch, was a small round table with four chairs that was almost pushed into the corner of the apartment.

To my right was a hallway that lead to the bedroom and bathroom, and just passed that was a small kitchen with an island counter, the appliance looked old and most likely had never been replaced since the apartment was built.  I turned my attention back to the TV, having never actually seen or watched one.  I found the remote on one of the couch cushions and turned it on.  The remote was quite confusing to operate at first but after awhile it became quite easy.  At first I just flipped through the channels, their content ranging from news, to comedy, to science, but it was a program on one of the local channels that made me pause.

On the screen people were screaming and yelling at each other without restraint, it was almost comical really.  I remembered what little Sora had taught me about television and I believe that this type of program was called a soap opera.  People went from kissing each other to trying to kill them.  It was quite confusing to follow and I was about to turn the channel again when something different happened.  A man was getting down on one knee and asking a woman to marry him.   I remember what I had learned about marriage.  It was were two people swore to love and stay together forever.  For those that kept true to it, it was unyielding and unbreakable.  It was something that was binding and forever.  At that moment an odd thought, possibly crazy, struck me, but I would need Price’s help for it to work.

“I see your enjoying the finest television has to offer.”

I turn and see Price coming through the door, two cups of coffee in his hands, one smelling sweeter than the other, and a box of donuts balanced in the crook of his elbow.

“Yes, it is quite…interesting.”

“I guess you could say that about soaps, but any way, I figured after being up all night you might need a pick-me up,” he said, handing me the sweeter smelling cup then sitting down at the table, “I got you cappuccino, thought you might like something a little sweeter.”

I sipped at the contents, rich vanilla taste swirled over my tongue, “It is quite good, but I have an idea I want to tell you.”  I said taking another sip and sitting down at the table across from him.

“Ok what is it?”

I tell him of my idea and how he fits into it.  He listens intently taking in every word I say, then gives me a solemn look.

“You’re sure about this?  It’s not something to take lightly.”

“I am more sure about this than anything else. You know how I feel.”

He gets a thoughtful look, then speaks again, “Ok, I’ll do it then, but we have to save the princess first and I’ve managed to find some info while you were out all night.” He said taking a gulp of his coffee.

“What have you found?”

“There is another lab in Seattle.  It’s run by a man named Christopher Plaines, he specializes in mammalian DNA.” He said, taking a bite of one of the donuts. 

I took a long drink of my cappuccino, “Where is his lab?”

“It’s hidden under a warehouse down by the docks, it runs for quite some distance under the wharf.  He has run into some of the same snags Fields had with the splices going crazy, but there are a few that are like yourself, though not a perfect blend of DNA.”

“And how did you manage to find the location of the lab?”

“I know one of the guards,” he said with a sly smile, “and booze does wonders to one’s abilities to keep secrets.” 

I take a sip of my cappuccino, thinking. 

“Is there more than one entrance to the lab or am I going to have to fight my way in?” I ask, I wish to avoid a large-scale incident if possible. 

“Sadly there is only one way in and it's through the ware house, there is a drainage pipe, but it is too small for you to fit through.”

“Then I fight my way in, I must do it quickly though, or risk getting caught.  When do I move in?”

“After you get some sleep.” Price says, jabbing a finger at me, “If you're going to do this perfectly, you're gonna need to be at full strength, and I don’t care if I have to drug you, you're gonna sleep before you go in tonight.”

Seeing that argument is pointless, I concede.  I am too tired to argue anyway, “Ok I will get some sleep, but only a few hours, then you tell me every detail of the facility, deal?”

Price smiles, “Deal.”

Draining what is left of my cappuccino, I throw away the cup and walk over to the couch and lay down on my side, my tail droops to the floor as I drift into a semi-deep sleep, all the while thinking of Sora and what I am going to do to Fields when I get to him.