44 - A Win for the Family

A week passed with no word from Hans Gruber. Cliff contacted the man who told him the proposal was circulating among the city council members and that he should sit tight. Cliff wasn't concerned that news of what he and Izzy had done would reach his parents, because during the meeting he hadn't mentioned how the two of them planned to break free from the parents and start their own company.

If his mother or father did find out and questioned them, Cliff and Izzy prepared a cover story about how they were merely seeking an early bird contract renewal and wanted to surprise them if they met with success.

He and Izzy joined their parents for dinner to discuss another matter just as sensitive. Izzy prepared lasagna. After they each filled their plate, Cliff cleared his throat. "Mom, Dad, I want you to know that I plan to move out of the estate."

His father looked at him while shoveling a forkful of lasagna into his mouth.

His mother simply said, "I see."

Cliff exchanged a glance with his sister. "I found a townhouse I'm interested in renting."

"What brought this on all of a sudden?" his mother asked. "Why now?"

"I'm thirty. I want my own place."

After his father took a drink of water, he said, "Your grandfather built this estate as a multi-generational homestead. You have your own private wing and are already independent from us. I get it how you and Elizabeth share that wing and how you might want your own private space now that you're both adults—"

"—I'm moving with Cliffy to his new digs," Izzy interrupted.

Cliff cringed. He wished she hadn't revealed that tidbit so soon.

It surprised Cliff when everyone at the table went quiet and kept eating. He figured they needed to digest the news and to consider their responses.

His father took another drink of water and focused on their mother. "I can understand Cliff's point-of-view. We felt the same when my parents lived here with us."

His mother said, "I remember, but we were married, and I was pregnant with Cliff. Our kids are still single." To Cliff, she said, "Is there anything we can do to get you to reconsider?"

"I don't think so."

His father wiped his lips with his napkin and again directed his words to their mother. "Maybe I have a solution. Maybe we should do what my parents did."

Mother raised both her eyebrows. "You mean move out and let the kids have this place?"

"We're both pushing sixty and we're rarely here. Maybe we should downsize into something that makes more sense for us. With modern technology, we don't have to live in Hershey to oversee the family business. You like the southwest. Would you consider a move to there?"

Cliff and Izzy exchanged another glance. He could see from her expression she was just as surprised as he was the conversation had taken such an unexpected turn.

His mother studied her plate. "I'll give it some thought."

His father looked between him and his sister. "Would you two be willing to take over this place? We could sell it to you for a dollar and transfer the deed into both your names. You could each take a separate wing. Of course, then you'd both be responsible to pay the taxes and upkeep."

Izzy cleared her throat. "That's very generous of you."

They all went quiet again, each lost in thought while eating.

Izzy set down her fork. "Mom, Dad, if you decide to do this, I think you should deed the house only to Cliffy. Aaron and I are going to marry within the next couple years. A husband doesn't usually want to live in his wife's home. He'll want us to have a place of our own."

Their mother waved off the comment. "Nonsense. That's such an antiquated sentiment."

Father sighed. "Despite what you believe, Elizabeth, we care equally for you both. This estate has considerable value. It wouldn't be fair for you to forfeit your share."

"He's right," Cliff said. "Izzy, if Mom and Dad decide this is what they want, and if Aaron has a problem with it, I'll buy out your half at market value. It'll help start you out building your own family."

She snorted. "You mean like a dowry. Now, that is an antiquated sentiment."

"I like the idea," their mother chimed in. "Cliff could carry on the family name raising his own family here. A woman like Kayla already accustomed to wealth would fit right in. She'd love it here."

Cliff pressed both of his palms against the tabletop. "Mother, don't start. Don't even go there."

"Leave him be," Father chided her. "We tried steering Cliff toward the senator's daughter, but he clearly doesn't want to go that way. It's time we backed off and allowed him to make his own decision."

His mother wore a big grin. "Maybe he does want to go that way. You are taking Kayla to the social, aren't you?"

He hadn't kept it a secret, so it didn't surprise him the news had gotten back to her. "I am, but my motive for doing so is not what you think it is."

"No matter the motive, she's a better candidate for a wife than that common bar maid you brought home."

"Mom!" Izzy shouted.

Heat entered Cliff's face. He came up out of his chair.

"Now don't get upset, dear," his mother said. "I love you and only want what's best for you. The fact that you're seeing Kayla for whatever reason you rationalize is a win for the family."

Cliff's mother really knows how to push his buttons, doesn't she?

Top Photo Credit: Pexels/Ksenia Chernaya