25 - A Formal Proposal

NOTE: The graphic above is contributed by the talented and accomplished author:  @Sevannah_Storm   -  I invite you to check out her Wattpad page.

On the drive back to the sports bar to drop off Hannah at her vehicle, Cliff replayed the almost-kiss in his mind. Izzy's interruption had thrown cold water on what could have been a pleasant moment. In hindsight, though, he realized the timing hadn't been right. Hannah had been in an emotional state. By making a move on her at that time, he ran the risk she might possibly resent him later for taking advantage.

In any event, he wasn't going to let stand what had happened at the park and told her he would take care of James. No way would he tolerate her ex or any other man to terrorize her.

She pushed back. "This is my problem. I'll handle it. I know James. We have a history. He won't hurt me."

"Are you sure about that? His actions today remind me of how a sociopath would act while stalking a victim."

"In the years we were together, he never ever came close to physically threatening me. It's not something he would do. It's not in his DNA. I just need to meet with him, sit him down, and find out what his problem is."

Thinking about Hannah being alone with James made him uneasy. But they were both adults. They both had histories. He shouldn't let it bother him. "Okay, do it your way, but promise you'll let me know when you're going to meet with the guy and then call me immediately afterwards. I'm going to worry."

She looked out the side window. "That's sweet of you, but I'll be okay."

They reached the parking lot. Cliff pulled to a stop beside her car. He let the engine idle to keep the AC running. The cool air directed at his face felt refreshing after spending a hot, sweaty afternoon at the amusement park. He had more to say but suddenly felt like a teenager on a first date. He chided himself for being insecure and reminded himself he was a grown-ass, thirty-year-old man. "Let me know if I'm overstepping about feeling so protective of you. It's just that..." He looked at his hands. Then he looked her in the eye. "Hannah, I really like you. I want to keep on seeing you."

A rosy hue crept into her cheeks. "I like you too."

"Will you allow me to take you to the country club summer social?"

Her eyes went round. "You mean the most talked about event of the year in this town, the exclusive party only the wealthy, privileged elite get to attend, the bash every girl dreams of going to? That summer social?"

Her enthusiasm lifted Cliff's mood. "Well, if you'd really rather not."

She playfully punched his arm. "Don't trifle with me. Are you seriously asking me?"

He laughed. "I'm serious. I'd be honored to escort you."

Hannah grew animated. "Yes, yes, yes, I never thought I'd have this opportunity. Wow, this is something I'll be able to cross off my bucket list. When is it?"

"It's always the last Saturday in August. I hope you don't have a conflict."

"Even if I did, I'd cancel the conflict."

"Thanks, Hannah, this really means a lot to me."

She gasped. "Oh, no, I don't have anything fancy to wear."

"You won't need anything fancy. Gone are the days when men showed up in tuxes and women in gowns. I usually wear a sport coat over a collared shirt. No tie. I don't do ties. Izzy and the other young ladies wear party dresses. She takes a sweater as a wrap in case she gets cold."

Hannah thought for a moment. "I have a black cocktail dress."

"I bet you look dazzling in it."

"Not if I keep eating pizza like I did today. I haven't worn it in a long time and hope it still fits."

"You only had one slice of pizza!"

"It probably glued itself to my waistline."

Cliff couldn't keep his eyes off her. "Since you're a breakfast girl, how about if I take you out sometime this week, maybe Tuesday morning?"

She smiled. "I'd like that."

"One more thing. I believe we're past the awkward trust building stage. Can I pick you up at your house? I'd like to meet your parents."

She hesitated, pursing her lips and breaking eye contact.

Hannah, why are you so hesitant?