24 - The Kissing Tower

Hannah felt relieved about not encountering James when she and Izzy had gone to the ladies' room.

As they returned and took their seats, Izzy's boyfriend asked, "Did you ladies have a nice chat?"

They did. In the ladies room, Izzy had confessed how happy she was for Cliff, because she had never seen her brother so smitten. Izzy's words warmed Hannah, because she was becoming smitten too.

Izzy answered Aaron's question with a question. "Did you men have a nice talk?"

Cliff and Aaron exchanged glances. They said nothing, but Hannah detected some underlying tension.

Izzy looked her way. "You know this is a food court and our dates haven't offered to feed us yet."

Hannah decided to play along with her new friend. She grinned. "Yeah, what about that, Cliffy?"

"You told me you don't eat much in the afternoon, Hannah banana."

Izzy snorted and rolled her eyes. "You two."

Aaron stood from his seat and addressed them all. "What should we get?"

"Cliff is right," Hannah said. "I don't eat much."

"Speak for yourself, because I do," Izzy protested.

They discussed the menu options and decided to share a large pizza. She wouldn't have to feel guilty about eating just one slice.

After they finished eating, Izzy stood and grabbed Aaron's hand. "One thing left to do. The Kissing Tower awaits." Looking between her and Cliff, she added, "Are you two coming?"

Hannah was familiar with the attraction. Despite its name, there was no reason for anyone to feel awkward enjoying the ride. Nobody was forced to kiss. The Kissing Tower, named after the company's flagship Hershey Kiss confection, was an enclosed, rotating circular platform lifting riders two hundred fifty feet into the air providing a scenic view of the park, the town of Hershey, and the surrounding countryside.

"I'm game if you are," Cliff said.

"Okay, let's go."

After entering the ride, Cliff and Hannah got separated from Aaron and Izzy. After taking their seats, she took advantage of their separation and said, "You and Aaron seemed weird after Izzy and I returned from the bathroom. Did something happen?"

Cliff eyed her and took a few moments before speaking. "Aaron was discussing his relationship with Izzy. There's stuff they have to work out between themselves."

The ride started and they began to ascend. When Cliff went quiet, she asked, "I assume you discussed your relationship with me?"

He said nothing which made Hannah uneasy. If he was smitten with her, she had hoped to get him to declare his feelings. Had she screwed up by asking him that question? "Cliff? Talk to me."

They had reached the top. Riders were oohing and aahing taking in the view. Troubled, she was looking at him and not at the view.

He faced her. "I wasn't going to say anything, because it might upset you."

Her heart leapt into her throat. Was Cliff no longer interested in seeing her? Although this was only their third date, it surprised her how hurt that made her feel. Why had Izzy made the comment about him being smitten if it wasn't true?

"Hannah, does James wear glasses?"

The question was so unexpected it took her a moment to process. "Yes, why?"

"That must have been him hovering around the periphery of the food court. I tried confronting him, but he ran."

"Oh, God," she said, suddenly feeling lightheaded.

Cliff took her hand. "Give me his contact information and I'll put a stop to it."

She took a few deep breaths, unable to determine if the height was getting to her or if what Cliff just told her was causing an anxiety attack. "Give me a moment." She squeezed shut her eyes.

She heard Cliff ask, "Can I put my arm around you?"

She nodded.

Cliff pulled her close. She rested her head on his shoulder. The ride began its descent back to the ground and she started to recover. When the ride bumped to a stop, she opened her eyes and lifted her head from his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Cliff." She uttered a nervous giggle. "It's not like me to act so needy. It's just, it's so out of character for James to act this way, and I can't understand it. He's the one who broke up with me, so why would he now be stalking me?"

Hannah closed her eyes again when Cliff laid a palm against her cheek. She opened her eyes and focused on Cliff's lips just a few inches from hers. She inched closer, signaling how she wanted him to.

"Hey, you two, there you are," Izzy said with enthusiasm. "Having fun?"

Darn you, Izzy, for interrupting!