26 - Hannah Wonders

Hannah could barely contain herself as she burst into her house. She found her mother and father clearing the table. They had just finished eating dinner, and the kitchen smelled of fried onions. "Guess where I'm going at the end of August?"

Her parents exchanged a glance.

"The country club summer social. Can you imagine!"

Her father wore a puzzled expression. "With James? I know his parents are well-off, but I didn't know they were members."

She crossed her arms in front of her chest. "No. Not with James. Why would you even think that? You know he and I are quits."

This time her mother chimed in. "But you reconciled. James stopped by earlier and told us you two would start seeing each other again."

Hannah's breath caught. "Did you tell him what my plans were for today?"

"Yes, Hershey Park." Her mother frowned. "Did I do something wrong?"

Hannah slumped into one of the dinette chairs. "I told you I was going on a date with a different guy. Didn't you realize how awkward that would make things when he showed up?"

"He wouldn't do that."

Hannah let her hand slap the tabletop. "He did!"

Her mom held a hand to her mouth.

She continued, "Let me make things perfectly clear. James approached me and asked for my forgiveness. I forgive him, but I'm not going to forget how badly he hurt me. I'm not taking him back and risk he might do it again. I told him our relationship was irreparably damaged. We are over. Finished. Don't give him any information about me ever again. What I do and who I see is no longer any of his business. The fact he showed up here after I blew him off was totally inappropriate and frankly frightening."

Her mother took a seat across the table from her. "Sweetheart, the two of you were practically joined at the hip for years. You loved each other. Are you sure you want to throw it all away?"

"He threw it all away, Mom. Not me."

Her father rested a hand on her shoulder. "Tell us about this new guy. Who is he?"

She couldn't help the smile that appeared on her face. "Cliff Ortega of the Ortega family, owners of the waste management company."

"Where did you meet up with him? At the bar?"

Hannah sighed. "It's a long and complex story. Suffice it to say, after my experience with James, I'll make any man I choose to go out with jump through some serious hoops. So far, Cliff has met every one of my challenges to him. Today was our third date. He's decent and respectful. He's genuinely interested in getting to know me and in no hurry to expect..." She felt squeamish saying it to her parents but decided she needed to. "He's not pushing me into anything intimate. We haven't even kissed yet." Although she wished they had before Izzy interrupted them.

Her father continued to press. "He's the guy who asked you to the social?"

"Yes."

Her mother said, "Hannah, please be careful. These rich guys are used to getting what they want. Don't become another conquest he can brag about to his country club buddies. Don't get hurt again."

"I am being careful, Mom. Also, he has a sister I've become friends with. That girl is open and unfiltered. The vibes I get from her about her brother line up with my instincts about him. I really believe he's genuine."

She remembered something important. "Oh, by the way, you'll get to judge him yourself. Cliff is coming to pick me up for breakfast Tuesday morning."

"I'll already be at work," her father said.

"No problem, Dad, you'll eventually meet him. You're going to love the cool car he drives."

"Okay," he said. "You're old enough to know what you're doing."

"But you'll never be too old for us not to worry," her mother added.

They may not have to worry much longer. She contemplated her turn of good luck. "My car is back on the road, I have a job interview tomorrow, and a promising relationship with a new man." Things really were turning a corner. "I might finally be climbing my way out of the abyss."

"I hope so, sweetheart," her mother said.

Only one troubling, dark cloud remained, and it suddenly wormed its way back into her thoughts like a party crasher.

James. Why had his attitude toward her changed? What did he really want? Why was she now afraid of him?

 Why had his attitude toward her changed? What did he really want? Why was she now afraid of him?

Does Hannah have cause to worry?