8 - Cliff Makes His Move

Thinking about Hannah gave Cliff butterflies. She was so hot, but he had dated other attractive women. Asking them out hadn't put him on edge. Not like this.

He arrived at The Striker Sports Bar at five, an hour before Hannah's shift. Sitting alone at his table, he had downed two beers while picking at soft pretzel sticks. The greeter had been reluctant when he asked to be seated at one of Hannah's tables until he slipped her a fifty-dollar bill. He also tipped the day waitress ten dollars for each of the two beers she brought him. She didn't seem offended when he told her he would wait for Hannah before ordering his meal.

A few minutes past six, he saw her emerge from the kitchen's bat wing doors while tying on her apron. She approached the greeter. The two ladies engaged in a friendly conversation; both wore smiles, until the greeter pointed at Cliff. Hannah's smile disappeared.

She marched his way and stopped in front of him, arms crossed at her chest. "Are you stalking me?"

"No, I'm here to order dinner."

"Why did you specifically ask to sit at one of my tables?"

"You provided excellent service last night. Why should I take a chance with some other unknown waitress, er, excuse me, server."

"I'd prefer if you sat someplace else."

"Why? Didn't I leave you a big enough tip?"

"I'm asking you nicely to sit in another section. Are you going to comply?"

Was he going to comply? Her businesslike tone made it clear there would be consequences if he didn't. How he responded next could cause an escalation and get him bounced from the place. Cliff recalled Izzy's advice about dropping the tough guy persona. He needed to try another approach. Instead of being tough, he would expose a bit of vulnerability. "There's another reason I asked to be seated at your table. I want to apologize."

She said nothing and raised an eyebrow.

"I told my sister about how we met at the dealership. She set me straight about my conduct, and I now understand how my behavior had been rude. I had no business forcing my way into your affairs. I'm really sorry."

Her expression betrayed no reaction. After a few moments of silence, she said, "So, are you moving to another table?"

What did he have to do to get her to back down? The woman was frustrating, but the more she challenged him, the more intrigued he became. "Hannah, please. Can't we call a truce? I came here with sincere intentions."

Her posture remained stiff. "Okay, truce, but if you do anything to make me feel unsafe, I'm going to have you kicked out."

"Fair enough."

She pulled a pad and pencil from her apron pocket. "Are you ready to order?"

He already had two beers while waiting for her. Why not make it three? "Another lager, please."

She saw the two empty glasses sitting in front of him and arched her eyebrow. "What I meant was are you ready to order something to eat, you know, to soak up some of that alcohol?"

"What, are you my mother? I said another beer, please."

"Suit yourself. If you get pulled over for drunk driving, don't blame me."

She had a point. Maybe he should ease up on the liquid courage. The last thing he wanted was to crash Izzy's Audi. He'd never hear the end of it. "Just one more. Then I'll cut myself off. What do you have on the menu that's good besides wings?"

She eyed him. "What do you like?"

He shrugged.

"You look like a man who enjoys red meat. How about a cheeseburger with fries."