Tattoo

Bronwyn's POV

My phone rings one lazy Friday evening while Baby, the family dog and I are curled up on the couch watching Zatima. It's Logan for the 10th time this hour. I haven't spoken to him since that day at the winery. Even though it's been a few weeks I'm still not ready to hear his voice so I haven't accepted any of his calls. And because I don't want to see him either, my sister Bonnie has been playing mediator for us. Every other Friday, she picks the kids up, takes them to Logan and brings them back on Sunday. So far it has all worked out.

My thoughts are interrupted by my doorbell ringing. I check the ring cam and see him. Why is he here? I'm not ready for this. I'm completely unprepared.

"What are you doing here Logan?" I say into the speaker.

"I'm here to wait for Bonnie."

"She should be on her way to you."

"She's not. If you'd answer your phone, I would've told you she told me to meet her here because..." He huffs. "Will you open the door please?"

What is Bonnie doing? Why would she set me up like this? I pick Baby up and go to the door. I open it and look past him to not look at him. Before I can stop him he hugs me and kisses my cheek. God he smells so damn good.

"Hey Baby, I missed you girl." He coos at Baby as he pulls her from my arms. He missed her and the way she whimpers and nuzzles him says she missed him too. She's not the only one. Stop it Bronwyn!

I leave them alone and go into the kitchen. I have to put distance between us, but a few minutes later, hell if he isn't in here too. He puts Baby down, then turns his attention on me. Here we go.

"Hey Bron."

"Hey."

"I know that's not that same ole Langston sweatshirt." He chuckles.

"No, this is new."

"Oh. ... You look good. Beautiful as always."

"Thanks."

"You good? Everything alright? Around the house I mean."

"Everything's fine."

"Would you tell me if it wasn't?"

"No, because I can pay people to fix things around here."

"But it's my job though."

"No it's not. Not anymore."

He goes silent. I can feel him watching me, but I refuse to look his way. I will rearrange every damn thing in every one of these cabinets just so I don't look at him. After a few tense moments Logan clears his throat and speaks up again.

"I missed you Bronwyn."

I don't respond and keep busy around the kitchen. He walks closer to me, but I move away from him. Every time he gets close, I move away.

"How long did Bonnie say she was going to be? And why did she say to meet you here? She didn't tell me any of this."

Logan hesitates for a second, then throws his hands up in surrender. "She wouldn't."

"What do you mean she wouldn't?"

"I lied Bronwyn. I asked her to meet me later tonight."

"Then why are you here?"

"Because I wanted to talk to you and this was the only way you'd let me in."