How To Train Your Dragon - Part 2: Prepare

I sighed looking up at my charred house. Thankfully nothing really caught on fire this time and the house was just covered in ash. I spent the late morning and early afternoon scrubbing the intricately carved roof. Just as I started to lose my mind Astrid called to me from the ground.

"Hey, asshole!" She called, jokingly.

I rolled my eyes and turned. "Can I help you, dickwad." I replied.

"There's a meeting right now. Wanna go check it out?"

"For what? Stoick saying, 'Dragons nest, yada yada' for the hundredth time?"

"I heard Snotlout and the twins planning to swipe some mead."

I immediately jumped off the roof landing in a roll and stood by her side. "What are we waiting for?"

"Thought that would get you down." She said with a smirk.

We chatted jovially as we walked. We talked about the damage to each of our houses and if I had made any more progress on that 'exploding arrow thingy'

"It's a firework arrow. You light it and it distracts dragons with noises and flashing. Eventually, I'll get some color in there to really throw them off. The bow itself still needs-"

"Oh, my Gods! Nerrrrrrrrrrrd!" Astrid replied.

"Fuck you. You asked."

"I still don't understand why you can't just use an ax."

"It's gimmick infringement. Axes are your thing."

"Then use a sword dude. What are you gonna do if you need to get into close combat?"

"I have a knife."

"Oh yeah, that's a Dragon killing tool. Even a hammer would be better, dude."

"Look, Hiccup and I have been working on this for two years. This shit is game-changing. Just wait."

She sighed. "Speaking of the wimp, that kid's gonna get himself killed."

"And I'm gonna get killed trying to protect him."

"What's wrong with him? Why can't he learn his place?"

"Hey, the kid just wants to fit in."

"But he doesn't."

"I know..." I sighed. "Doesn't stop him from trying. Stubborn motherfucker."

"Why do you even hang out with him?"

"Cuz he's my best friend."

"But why?"

"His dad took care of me when my parents died. Made sure I had everything I needed. We got put in the same room a lot. Why am I explaining this to you? You know all this."

"I just don't get why you hold onto things that make your life more difficult."

"You mean like you?" I muttered.

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing! Nothing."

"That's what I thought."

I sighed. "I don't ditch friends. I hold on to things I care about. Whether it's easy or not. Maybe it's because I'm stubborn. Maybe it's because I've already lost so much. I don't know."

"I... I just can't see myself living that way." She said,

"Yeah... I know."

"I think I can put up with you though."