How To Train Your Dragon - Part 1: This Is Berk

Before we start, I want to let everyone know that this is my favorite franchise of all time... except maybe Jurassic Park. (kinda wired that I like two franchises focused on giant lizards but what the hell.) I will do my best to do it justice. Nothing I write will be perfect or up to my own standards cus these movies are masterpieces. I love this shit. This is my love letter. Our childhoods have past us by, but the memories will always remain.

POV: ???

This is Berk.

Through the mist and darkness, we see a rocky island jutting up from the sea.

It's twelve days north of hopeless and a few degrees south of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the meridian of misery.

The island has a peninsula teeming with homes only recognizable by the small lanterns dotting the island in the darkness. Two Viking statues poke out of the water leading toward their harbor.

My village. In a word, sturdy. It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new.

Near the sea are green pastures teeming with sheep and yaks. The Viking-style homes are built up on jutting stone faces so the village goes up the deeper you go in, leading to one large building at the top which itself is towered over by the uninhabitable mountains.

We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problem are the pests.

A sheep suddenly disappears from the pasture as something large flies overhead.

You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have...

A boy opens his door to see a giant fire-breathing lizard with bat-like wings and red hide. He slams the door shut as it blasts fire in his direction.

"Dragons." The boy said.

Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues.

The boy flees his burning home as hell breaks loose. He runs through the village as Vikings and dragons do battle around him.

My name's Hiccup. Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

Hiccup gets knocked down only for another Viking with an ax to dive on top of him with a yell.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Morning!" He said, before quickly moving on.

As he ran, the other adult Vikings began shouting at him to "Get back inside!" But he ignored them.

"Hiccup!" Yelled a loud voice, grabbing the boy by the collar before he could run straight into a dragon's fire blast. "What is doing out agai-? What are you doing out? Get inside!" He said, pushing the boy toward the blacksmith workshop.

That's Stoick the Vast, chief of the tribe. They say when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off its shoulders. Do I believe it?

Stoick tossed a wooden cart at a dragon that smashed against its scaly hide and sent it into a spiral.

Yes, I do.

Hiccup ran past the giant torches as they were lit and hoisted into the sky to fend off the attacking dragon horde.