In Another Life...

The night was silent as the sun was barely starting to rise over San Angel.

Manolo and Maria were sleeping soundly in their room, their daughters in the next room over.

They were suddenly awoken by pain around their eyes. This pain was far worse than the other times. They groaned and shut their eyes tightly.

They saw a giant two-headed snake in the sky that breathed green fire and roared loudly. They saw flashes of what looked like a great battle; creatures, warriors, soldiers being killed by the giant snake. It was horrific.

It wasn't until the pain went away that Manolo could hear his wife screaming next to him.

He instantly sat up and wrapped his arms around her, "Maria! Maria! Hey! What happened?"

"The visions!" She screamed, "They keep coming back. They're getting worse."

"It's ok. Everything is ok."

"The-The girls. Are they-"

"They're ok, like they were two hours ago." Manolo held her face in his hands and kissed both of her cheeks, "We're ok."

Maria stared back at him for a few seconds, "Thank you."

Manolo let go of her face as she leaned against him, his arm wrapping around her.

"You had a vision, too?" He asked.

"Yeah." Maria said, "You had one, too?"

"Mhm. What did you see this time?"

"A war. And..." Maria took a shaky breath as she buried her face in her husband's shoulder, "...a snake."

Manolo's eyes went wide at what she said, "What?"

"And a two-headed one, too, like the one you said killed you."

Manolo pulled away to look at her, "That's... That's pretty much what I saw."

"Really?"

Manolo nodded, "Did we really have the same vision?"

"I... guess we did. That's never happened before."

The two sat in silence for a second, thinking about what happened.

"Do you think... Do you think we knew each other in a past life?" Maria asked.

"I don't know." Manolo replied, "I guess it's possible."

"You're right."

The couple jumped at the sudden voice. They looked up and their hearts stopped at what they saw.

The boy and girl from their past visions.

It wasn't easy to recognize them, but Maria remembered her sketch and how much it resembled the boy in front of them and Manolo was able to recognize the girl.

All Maria and Manolo could do was stare at the strange beings before them.

The boy and girl glanced at each other before looking back at the couple before them.

"We know you're confused." The girl said, "You have questions."

Maria's heart stopped at the sound of her own voice speaking to her.

"Who... who are you?" Manolo asked, holding Maria closer.

"Well... we're you." The boy said.

Manolo was unnerved at his own voice speaking to him.

"I know that doesn't make sense, but we promise it will."

The boy and the girl held out their hands towards the couple.