Together For Eternity

Chaska and Estrella had returned to the realm of the gods shortly after their conversation with Chimi and Rico and went to the Candle Maker's home. She was about to knock until she noticed the door was open.

"Candle Maker?" Chaska called out as she stepped in the room. 

When she saw the room was empty, she and Estrella began to look around. There was the lingering scent of mortal souls, but not as strong as the actual cave of souls.

After a bit, Estrella yipped and nudged his paw against a wooden box on a low shelf. He found something.

Chaska knelt down to where he was and sniffed the box. She immediately smelled the mortal souls of Maya and Zatz. 

"What?" Chaska said darkly as her blood ran cold. 

She heard the door open behind her, "Oh, Chaska. What are you doing here?" She heard Candle Maker ask.

She stood up and turned to him, anger painted on her face, "Their souls were never reincarnated."

"Wha- Oh... uh..."

"That's impossible, you were going to, right?"

"Listen, I wanted to, I really did, but they wouldn't allow it. Said it would be cheating death."

Chaska's rage directed towards the other gods. How dare they deny them a second chance. They helped save all the realms from endless bloodshed and tyranny, and this is the thanks they get?

Chaska stormed out of the room, Estrella by her side. 

"Hey, where are you going?" Candle Maker asked following her.

"To confront the gods." She said, "I won't let them get away with this."

Candle Maker called a meeting with some of the gods that night. He wanted to stop her, but he knew he couldn't stop the fierce goddess. 

Chaska furiously explained how much Maya and Zatz have gone through to defeat Mictlan and their mortal souls at least deserve a chance to live out the lives they never did. 

There were some gods who sided with what Chaska was saying, but most of the higher-ups refused to budge. 

They said that Zatz and Maya were already rewarded for their bravery by becoming gods and that reincarnating their mortal souls would be cheating death, that one half of a soul cannot live at the same time as the other.

Chaska became furious at this.

"You ungrateful hypocrites!" Chaska snarled. La Muerte and Xibalba had to arm lock her as she was threatening to jump at one of the higher-ups, "You dare to leave two souls in limbo while thousands of souls have the chance at a second life! You disrespect their souls!"

"The decision is final, Chaska." One of the higher-ups said, "And I'd suggest you think twice before losing your temper like this."

Chaska was about to retaliate when the door swung open. Everyone's heads turned to see Maya and Zatz run into the room, broad smiles on their faces.

"Candle Maker, we'd like you to..." Zatz trailed off as he and Maya looked around the room. Seeing the other gods in the room and La Muerte and Xibalba arm-locking Chaska, they felt the awkwardness sink into them.

"Did we come at a bad time?" Maya asked. 

"No, we just finished here." One of the higher-ups said, "What's on your minds, children?"

Chaska felt a stab in her heart as she was dismissed so disrespectfully. But she kept quiet, knowing she had lost.

Maya and Zatz's smiles returned as they stepped closer to each other, "We'd like Candle Maker to... marry us." Zatz said with a chuckle.