CHAPTER TWELVE

DISCO NIGHTS !
CHAPTER TWELVE
EERIE, INDIANA; PARTY OF TWO

DISCO NIGHTS !CHAPTER TWELVEEERIE, INDIANA; PARTY OF TWO

________________

"HELLO?" LUKE'S VOICE questioned over the phone.

"Luke, hi." Maeve perked up at how the phone finally connected after several rings. "Is your annoying nephew there, by any chance?"

A pause.

"Why?" Luke's voice was suspicious at her unusual inquiry.

"I have to scold him for how bad his music taste is, and I didn't get a chance to before he left earlier." Maeve succinctly explained. "Two mixtapes full of pure trash. Two, Luke."

Blowing out an unamused breath as he clearly lost interest in the conversation, Luke just deadpanned. "Hold on."

A few seconds of muffled arguing ensued over the line, Maeve could imagine Luke holding his hand over the receiver in an attempt to block it out, before Jess' reluctant voice spoke up on the other end. "What do you want, princess?"

Maeve rested the phone on her shoulder and pressed it against her ear as she pulled out her notebook, in which she had just finished writing pages worth of notes. "Not a princess, and I have several criticisms. Since you gave me two mixtapes, prepare yourself for a lengthy, honest and logical review of your terrible music taste."

Jess blew out an exasperated breath. "I'm on the edge of my seat already."

"Good." Maeve ignored his sarcasm as she readjusted her position lying on her bed, so she was now holding the phone to her ear in one hand and her notebook in the other.

"Did you write notes?" Jess' perplexed voice spoke up again, emphasising the last word as he heard the shuffling, and Maeve didn't even need to see his face to know that he was frowning.

"Yep, four pages worth." Maeve immediately answered, the girl clearing her throat as she shifted her attention to her notes and began her analysis. "So, starting with mixtape one..."

"Wow." Delaney blew out a breath in utter disbelief at the entire experience Maeve had just recounted. "So, the asshole knows where you live now?"

Maeve didn't make a single effort to correct the words as she just slowly nodded. "Unfortunately, he does."

"How weird was it when he saw your room?" Delaney curiously inquired, the girl placing her elbow on the table she and Maeve were sitting at in the diner and resting her chin on the palm of her hand out of pure interest. "Did he look impressed?"