.64

Chaos erupted as Polina burst into the warehouse fray, but she's not alone, Nikolai was grinning at me like a Cheshire cat, their sudden entrance shattering the haze of gun smoke choking the air.

I instinctively shielded Kev's battered body with my own as bullets whistled past. My senses were overwhelmed by the ringing shots and pounding heartbeat throbbing in my years.

Polina moved with lethal grace, her rifle crackling out bullets in rapid succession, each finding their mark with deadly accuracy. Xavi and Leah with deadly accuracy.

Nikolai dived behind a stack of crates, shotgun blasts splintering the wood as Xavi's wild barrage peppered his cover.

"Getting slow in your old age, Nikolai!" Xavi taunted as he reloaded, his voice echoing through warehouse. "Maybe time to retire if you can't keep up anymore"

Nikolai's lips quirked in a hint of smile as he swiftly swapped shells. "I'm aging like fine wine. I can see your wrinkles from here, Xavi," he shot back, his deep voice booming.

He popped up, firing off around that sent Xavi scrambling. "Stand still so I can get this over with, you arrogant prick."

Xavi's laugh rang out from across the room. "Big talk from the man cowering behind the crates!" His bravado masked the hesitation in his shots. He knew Nikolai still had the edge.

"Come out and I'll put you down properly. Should've done it years ago," Nikolai growled.

He flanked, forcing Xavi into the open. Nikolai lined up the kill shot. "I never liked you anyway," he remarked coldly before pulling the trigger.

Meanwhile, the unhinged Leah cackled with glee, spraying bullets manically as Polina coolly tracked her from the shadows. Their contrasting methods mirrored their personalities—one chaotic, the other calm and collected.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!" Leah called in a sing-song voice, her trigger finger never ceasing its chaotic barrage. "Don't be shy, I just want to play!"

Polina shook her head, lining up a clear shot from her perch above. "Such unrefined moves," she muttered to herself as she squeezed the trigger.

Leah yelped as the bullet grazed her shoulder, spinning to face Polina's location. "Oh good, you came out to play! I was getting lonely," she exclaimed with a wide, unstable grin.

Polina re-centered her aim coolly. "This isn't a game, you deranged amateur," she responded, her tone icy. With disciplined precision, she fired again, dropping Leah instantly.

"I take no pleasure in this," Polina's voice resonated, devoid of emotion, as she emerged from the shadows. She strode over Leah's still form, a finality to her actions.

Nikolai's voice chimed in, a stark contrast to the grim scene. "You're quite the sight, babe!" he exclaimed to Polina, punctuating his words with blown kisses that sailed through the air.

I stared at them in bewilderment, my thoughts still sluggish from the chaos. Polina crouched down, her keen eyes assessing me for any sign of injury. Seemingly satisfied I was unharmed, her gaze shifted to Kev's limp form.

"How bad is he?" she inquired, her usually playful voice is now edged with uncharacteristic concern.

The question jolted me back to the present. I quickly turned my attention to Kev, assessing his injuries with a lump in my throat. His face had gone ashen, eyes closed and ringed by purplish bruises. I pressed my fingers to his neck, finding his pulse dangerously faint and thready.