.63

It's been a week since the accident at the warehouse. 
A week after I found out about my grandfather's connection with Kaede and the ambush that happened. A week after I eavesdropped on my grandfather's phone call. A week since I last saw Ivo.

Things had been unusually quiet – too quiet. For a whole week now, my grandfather's whereabouts have remained a mystery. I've been occupying myself with painting, and even though Tessa's constant chatter can be overwhelming at times, she's proven to be a welcome companion during these solitary days.

Ever since I made my public debut, I've been flooded with inquiries and requests. While I can't possibly cater to every demand, I'm striking a balance to sustain myself financially. There's no way I'll depend on my grandfather's money. After all, I have plans to leave.

The pungent odor permeated the room as soon as I peeled the can open. I dove right into painting with an enthusiasm that could not wait. With studied grace, I glided my brush across the canvas, blending verdant greens to capture the rolling hills and meadows in soft focus. I always make sure my strokes are unhurried and precise, building up layers of color and texture.

As I reached the foreground of my canvas, the door suddenly burst opened. I jumped; the paint splashed on the floor after accidentally kicking it as the door banged loudly against the wall. Heart racing, I turned to see the figure standing in the doorway, her eyes full of excitement.

"Tessa," I breathed.

"Girl, you won't believe what just landed in my inbox," she strolled around my studio as if she owned the place. I'd made it clear to everyone that I'm not to be disturbed while working. My eyes flicked to the sign hanging on my studio door, its message stark: "Do Not Disturb."

I rubbed my temples, my creative flow now fractured. Tessa waved the white envelope like a magical wand, as if it held the power to fulfill my heart's desires. But as I gazed at the familiar seal, I couldn't deny the truth—it was an invitation letter from my grandfather.

"Your dear old grandfather is holding a charity ball in 3 days, Calista! The event will be at Grand Pavilion where you had your debut as a painter! Isn't that exciting?"

What's in the Grand Pavilion? I have too much history with it, and knowing my grandfather and how devious he can be, I have a bad feeling about this charity event.

"Calista?" Tessa's voice broke through my thoughts. Her smile was there, but her eyes revealed a flicker of concern.

I smiled at Tessa, the smile feeling a bit forced. "I'm sorry, I've just been busy with work."

"So, I've been told. The housemaid said you rarely left your studio and preferred not to be disturbed while painting," Tessa remarked as she watched me crouched on the floor cleaning the spilled paint.

"It has always been like that, Tessa," I replied, not looking up from my task. I continued dabbing at the splattered azure blobs, trying to lift the paint from the antique floorboards before it dried.

Tessa's stilettos tapped the old floorboards, their treble clacks resonating like a snare drumroll through the creaky room. Now crouched in front of me, Tessa grinned, "How about a shopping spree, Calista?"

On ordinary days, I might have been up for it, but today isn't one of those days. "I don't feel like going, Tessa. I still have to finish this canvas."

"Oh, come on! I've hardly seen you these past weeks, and Kev—" She cut herself off, glancing around the studio as if Kev might be lurking nearby. I've known for a while about her rather intense crush on him. I assumed it would've faded over time, but if anything, it's only grown stronger.

I let out a sigh. Tessa had a knack for persistent annoyance. I couldn't quite figure out if she did it to deliberately bother me or if she simply couldn't read the clearly written expression on my face that said, "I am absolutely not in the mood."

I was just about to respond when my phone chimed from my pocket. "Who's that? Is that Kev?" Tessa's curiosity was unrelenting.