Chapter 37: Yua's Hard Truth

It was the height of Cold Cycle during Sabin's trip to Sweoti; the snow fell in waves day after day. However, Sabin's power made it melt around him and the ground soften beneath Ares's hooves. The same was true for Ira when she jogged beside him.

To shorten the trip, Ira asked him to run with her. He knew it was the best course of action, but he had spent too much time away from Ares already. The horse would be furious if Sabin left him in Sikati. Ira didn't push it, so Sabin assumed that meant acceptance.

She is very hard to read.

Ares' emotions upon their reunion were a mix of anger and relief. He was angry that Sabin was troubled and relieved that he was better. Ares' reaction made Sabin understand just how much he had neglected the others, Alaina especially. He was supposed to be her big brother and yet he let her deal with Kianna's grief alone.

If I can gain her forgiveness, I will not fail her again.

When they arrived in Sweoti, Cold Cycle was nearing its end. In a cycle-day or two, Birth Cycle would begin, which gave Sabin very little time to train if he were to have a chance to meet with the others on the fourth Sunsday of Birth Cycle. He knew they would not expect him there, but it was something he needed to do.

This is why Sabin was pissed as he held in front of Ira, shirtless and with dull wooden sticks attached to elastic bands on his forearms. He needed complete his study with her quickly but she was here handling him with kid gloves.

Sabin held the wooden sticks in his palms. "Why are we not practicing with real weapons? This is child's stuff."

Ira stood with her hands behind her back, holding no weapons of her own. Ira eschewed the leather armor she wore normally for brown leggings and a tunic, similar to what she had Sabin wearing. "This is kele-bolo. It is a lifelong pursuit that you will not master in a few cycle-days, but I will have you learn the basics. You are a child in this, without even the dreadlocks of adulthood and you will work your way up as if you were any other student.

Sabin slammed the batons together in frustration. "I am not any other student. My father trained me with the spear. It is not my best weapon true, but I have some skill."

Ira turned her nose upwards. "To say your spear training would help you with the god-spear is to say knowing how to fish will help you learn to swim."

Sabin took a deep breath, but it only served to irritate him more. His grief at Kianna's death had finally given way to anger. Anger he wanted to vent on someone who deserved it like the Guan.

"I do not have the time Ira and I am a willing student."

Ira's face was impassive. "Relax, child. Time is precisely what we have. You cannot rush readiness; you are or you are not. You leave when my work as karamogo is done. No sooner."

"What about the Guan invasion?"

"There is always the threat of the Guan, Yusabin. Trust the others to share that burden."

Sabin gritted his teeth.

She is right, but there is only so much respect I can show this woman.

"A compromise, then?" Ira asked. "I will give you five minutes to hit me. If you can, we will skip to the next lesson."

Sabin narrowed his eyes. "That's all?"

Ira nodded.

Sabin smiled. "I can do that."

He wielded his practice god-spears like his fire whips, slashing and swinging them at Ira's frame. His karamogo's hands did not leave her back. At each attack she dodged, a slide to the left, two steps to the right. Reading her movements, Sabin swung high and low from each direction.