Chapter 49

Percy sat next to Athena on a pedestal facing the twelve Councillors in the Tribunal Hall, and this time, it was a packed house. Friends, mentors, strangers. Even enemies. Clarisse sneered at him as Mars rose to read the charges.

Between the laws and the bylaws and the sub-bylaws, he committed five major transgressions and eleven minor transgressions, a new record. At least half of them carried the possibility of exile.

And yet, Percy wasn't afraid.

He'd been drugged and interrogated, watched one of his best friends tortured for trying to escape, and had to fight his way back from fading away. No matter what the Council decided, it could never be worse than what he'd already survived.

So his legs didn't shake under Mars's glare. His bow was as ungraceful as ever, and he heard Clarisse snicker as he lost his balance towards the end, but he held his head high as he faced the Council in all their regal glory.

"Mr Jackson," Juno began, her voice warm. "On behalf of the entire Council I'd like to express our relief that you made it home safely. We'd also like to assure you that we will find whoever was responsible for your kidnapping and make them see justice for their actions."

"Thank you," he said, proud of the strength in his voice.

"That being said, you stand before us today accused of very serious charges. What have you to say in your defense?"

He'd spent all night crafting the perfect apology for his actions, but he'd thrown it all away when he walked through the doors. He wasn't sorry for what he'd done, and he wouldn't pretend otherwise. Vesta would know he was lying, anyway.

Percy cleared his throat and addressed the entire Council. "I never wanted to break the law, and I don't plan on doing it again. But people were losing their houses. People were dying. I remember seeing obituaries in the newspaper clipping the Black Swan sent me. Noah was just a little baby, and Isabel couldn't have been older than five. They had their whole lives ahead of them, but because of the fires, they would never get to grow up. I know they were humans, but I couldn't sit back and let it happen to more people, like my family. I'm sorry if that's a crime. I won't argue if you punish me for my choice, but I firmly believe it was the right decision. I'd rather be punished for making the right decision than live with the guilt of making the wrong one for the rest of my life."

Murmurs and whispers filled the room until Juno cleared her throat. Silence fell as she closed her eyes and placed her hands over her temples.

Most of the Councillors ignored him as they debated, but Vulcan glanced his way, shooting the tiniest wink when their eyes met. He hoped it was a good sign, but he couldn't be sure. Juno held out her hands to silence the arguments raging in her head. Her eyes locked with Percy's, her face unreadable.

"Thank you for your honesty, Mr Jackson. While some of us," she glanced at Mars, "feel that your attitude is disrespectful and rebellious, none of us can deny that your actions uncovered a problem and conspiracy we ourselves had overlooked, and for that we owe you our gratitude. We can't, however, simply ignore the fact that laws were broken."

Percy sucked in a breath and prepared for the worst.

"There was much debate on what the proper punishment would be," Juno continued, with another sidelong glance at Mars, "but a decision has been reached, and it is unanimous." She cleared her throat. "Considering the fact that we, as your rulers, failed to protect you from recent unfortunate experiences, we feel that it would be inappropriate to assign any further punishment. Your transgressions will go on your permanent record, but your punishment will be marked as 'already served' and that will be the end of the matter. Is that understood?"