Chapter 5

"There you are!" his mom shouted. Panic was clear on her face as Percy entered the cluttered kitchen. "Yes, he's home now," she said into her phone. "Don't worry. I will be having a very long talk with him."

Percy's heart jolted.

His mom hung up the phone and reeled around. Her wide blue eyes glared daggers. "That was Mr Sweeny calling because he couldn't find you at the museum. What were you thinking, wandering off like that? Especially now, with the fires making everyone nervous! Do you have any idea how worried I was? Mr Sweeny was about to call the police!"

"Sorry," Percy said. He decided that the best lies were based on the truth. "There was this lady who had the article on me. She was asking all sorts of questions and freaking me out and stuff, so I ran away. I was too scared to go back, so I took the train back here."

"Why didn't you get a teacher or a museum guard?"

"Mom, I was panicking."

His mom sighed. "The important thing is that you're ok. But if anything like that ever happens again, I want you to run straight to an adult, do you understand?"

Percy nodded.

"Good." She rubbed her forehead. "This is exactly why your father and I were upset about that article. It's not safe to stand out in this world. You never know what some weirdo is going to try to do once they know where they can find you."

Percy nodded again. He'd been standing out his entire life. Be it Nancy Bobofit or Gabe Ugliano, he'd always had an unfortunate habit of running into bullies. "I'm fine, Mom."

His mom seemed to deflate. "I know. I just wish..."

Percy couldn't read minds like Annabeth, but he knew what she was thinking.

I just wish you could be normal, like your brother.

Percy scowled at the ground.

"Just be careful," his mom said. "I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you."

"I know, Mom. I'll try."

His dad came through the front door and his mom let him go.

"Welcome home, honey! I'll have dinner ready in ten," he called to him. "And, Tyson!" she added, raising her voice so it would be heard from Tyson's room. "Time to come in!"

Percy followed his mom into the kitchen, feeling unease twist in his stomach. Worn linoleum, pastel walls, tacky knicknacks. It all felt so...ordinary after the glittering world Annabeth had shown him. Could he really belong there?

Did he really belong here?

Percy's dad patted his back as he set his shabby briefcase on the kitchen table. "And how's my little man?"

Percy sighed. "I'm good, Dad."

His mom took the lid off one of the pots, filling the air with the smell of bean dip. "It's your turn to set the table," she said to Percy.

Percy started setting the table right as Tyson entered the room. Tyson's grades were lower than average, and he was a social butterfly. And with his light brown hair and brown eyes, he barely even looked like Percy. No one understood how they could be brothers.

The silverware slipped through Percy's fingers.

"What's wrong?" his mom asked.

Nothing." He sank into his chair.

How could he and Tyson be brothers? Tyson was definitely human. His parents too. And if he was an elf...

The room spun and he lowered his head into his hands. He tried to concentrate on breathing. Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.

"Are you ok, brother?" Tyson asked.

"I'm feeling kind of dizzy. Must be from the smoke. Can I go lay down?"

"I think you should eat first," his mom said. Percy knew he couldn't argue. Skipping dinner was definitely not acting normal, especially when his mom made bean dip.

"Maybe not," Tyson said. "We don't have soybeans." Percy rolled his eyes. Apparently he'd said 'soybean' a lot as a baby, despite the fact that he hated soybeans.

Percy chewed each bite and forced himself to swallow. Finally, his mom let him go, and Percy jumped to his feet.

"Thanks, Mom. That was delicious. I'm going to do some homework." He left the kitchen and sprinted to his room before they could do anything to stop him.

He raced to his room and closed the door, stumbling to his bed and wrapping his blanket around his shoulders. The warmth gave him the courage he needed to confront the realization he'd made.

His family couldn't be his family.

He took a deep breath and let the reality settle in.

The strange thing was, in some ways, it made sense. It explained why he always felt so out of place around them, his black hair and green eyes standing out against a family of blue-eyed brunettes.

Still, they were the only family he knew.

And if they weren't his family...who was?

He continued taking deep breaths. No, this had to be a mistake. How could he not be related to his family? And even if it was somehow possible, not being related to them didn't change anything, did it? Lots of kids were adopted, and they were part of their new family.

His mom poked her head through the door. "I brought you some chocolate chip cookies." She handed Percy a plate of cookies and a glass of milk, then frowned. "You look pale. Are you getting sick?" She pressed her palm against his forehead. "You don't have a fever."

"I'm fine," he said, somehow managing to find his voice. He was quiet for a second. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," said his mom.

"Was I adopted?"

His mom laughed. "No, Percy. Why would you think that?"

"Could I have been switched at birth?"

"No. Of course not."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I think I would know my own son." There wasn't a trace of doubt in her voice. "What's all this about?"

"Nothing. Just tired."

His mom laughed. "Sorry, Percy, but we're your parents, whether you like it or not."

"Ok," he agreed.

Bu he wasn't so sure anymore.