Chapter 6

That night, Percy dreamed that Santa's elves were holding him hostage until he made all the toys. Then he told them that he liked Halloween more, and they wrapped him in tinsel and tied him to a Christmas tree. He woke up in cold sweat and decided that sleep was overrated.

When morning came, he took a quick shower and threw on his best jeans and an orange shirt. Much as he hated it, he wanted to look good when he saw Annabeth. Then he snuck outside to check for her.

The hallway was small and cramped, but infinitely better than the smokey outdoors. Seriously, when were they going to get those fires contained?

"Looking for someone?" Percy nearly jumped. It was Mr Brunner, his next-door neighbor. 

"No," Percy said. He liked the old man, but he always smelled like feet. But Mr Brunner had been the one to call the police when Percy fell and hit his head, so he was obligated to be nice.

"You should go inside soon," Mr Brunner said. "The air filters need replacing." Even before the fires, Mr Brunner had always complained about the air.

Loud yapping interrupted him, and a ball of fur with legs streaked through the hall, barking its tiny head off. A man chased after the dog.

"Hey!" Percy yelled. "I don't think pets are allowed in here!"

"I know!" the man yelled back. "She's my sister's dog, and she hates me - the dog, not my sister. She just bolted in here." He showed Percy bite marks on his hand. One was so deep that it would probably leave a scar. "Would you mind grabbing her?"

"I'll try." The dog was quick, but Percy stepped on the leash. He kneeled, stroking the wild-eyed, panting creature to calm him down.

"Thank you so much," the guy said as he ran towards the dog. As soon as he drew close, the dog growled and strained against the leash, barking like mad.

"I don't suppose you'd be willing to carry her back to my sister's place, would you? It's just a few blocks away, and she seems to like you better than me." He winked one of his piercing blue eyes. Something tickled Percy's senses. He glanced at a drop of water falling from a leaky pipe. Something about the water seemed...anxious.

"He most certainly will not," Mr Brunner said. "Percy, go back inside. And you," he pointed at the jogger, "get out of here right now, or I'm calling the police."

The man's eyes narrowed. "I wasn't asking you-"

"I don't care," Mr Brunner interrupted. "Get. Away.  From. Him. Now."

The barking grew louder as the guy moved toward Percy. He could barely think through the chaos, but there was something in his expression that made him wonder if he was planning to grab him and drag him away. And that's when it hit him.

His eyes were a shade of midnight blue. It was possible that an ordinary human had that eye color, of course, but what was it that Annabeth had said? All elves have blue eyes. Could this guy be an elf?

Would Annabeth have sent someone else in her place?

But if she had, why wouldn't the man say that? Why try to trick him?

Just then, the man lunged at Percy. Percy panicked and threw the dog at him. The dog growled as soon as it hit him and bit the man right on his arm.

"Percy, run," Mr Brunner ordered. Percy ran inside.

As soon as the door closed, he leaned against it, trying to make sense of all the scattered questions racing through his brain.

Why would the man try to grab him? Could he be another elf? Annabeth had some serious explaining to do, whenever she made her next appearance.

There was still no sign of Annabeth when he got to school, and now he wasn't sure what to do. She might be waiting for him to be alone before she appeared, but after the dog incident, she wanted a few eyewitnesses around. Unless Annabeth had sent the man to get him...

It was all so frustrating and making his brain hurt. Percy sighed as he recalled his schedule. Geometry was first. He mentally screamed and considered ditching.

A hand grabbed his arm and pulled him into the shadows between buildings. Percy stopped his scream just in time when he recognized Annabeth.

"Where have you been?" he demanded, a little too loudly. Several heads turned their way. "I've been looking for you!"

"Missed me, huh?" Annabeth asked, smirking.

Percy scowled. "More like you left me alone with a ton of unanswered questions and no way to find you, and then this guy shows up and tries to grab me, and-"

"Wait. What guy?"

"I don't know! Some creepy guy with dark hair and a beard tried to trick me into wandering off with him, and when I wouldn't he tried to grab me. I think he might be another elf."

"Ok, slow down." Annabeth twisted her hair. "No one knows you're here. Only my mom, and she sent me here to get you."

"Then why did he have such dark blue eyes? That color isn't natural in humans."

"I don't know," she admitted. "Are you sure?"

He nodded. "I've got a photographic memory. I'm positive."

Annabeth frowned. "Maybe he was wearing contact lenses."

"Maybe," he admitted.

"My guess is that he was a human wearing contact lenses. But we'll check with my mom. We'd better move though." She pointed to a teacher who was eyeing them like she suspected impending mischief. "We can't leap with people around."

"Leap?" he hissed as she pulled him behind the building. "Normally I'm all for ditching class, but they'll call my parents, and after yesterday my mom is going to strangle me."

"This is important, Percy. You have to come with me."

"Why?"

"Just trust me."

He locked his knees so she couldn't pull him any farther. He couldn't keep disappearing all the time. Elf or not, he had a life here, with parents that could ground him. "How am I supposed to trust you when you won't even tell me anything?"

"You can trust me because I'm here to help you."

That wasn't good enough. He scowled at her. The water banged against his senses, like water sloshing against a container. He fought the sensation, but didn't banish it completely. He didn't want to cause another flood, but if he had to defend himself, he'd do that.

"Trust me. I promise that I'll help you."

He was going to fight back, but then a flash of movement caught his eye. It was only for a second, but she could've sworn she saw the man's face.

"He's here," he whispered. "The guy who tried to grab me."

"Where?" Annabeth scanned the campus.

He gestured toward where he'd seen the man, but there was no one around.

Did he imagine it?

Annabeth pulled the silver pathfinder from her pocket and adjusted the crystal. "I don't see anyone, but let's get out of here. We shouldn't keep everyone waiting, anyway."

"Who's everyone?"

"My parents, and a committee of our Councillors." She held the pathfinder up to the light. "Ready?"

He nodded.

Annabeth smirked. "You better be. This will determine your future."