Review (1)

Do You Know Eva? By @SeanPowell (Romance)

Reviewed By; AlexusBurns

Plot: Eva Lynch is a girl with a hard life. She's abused mentally and physically by her mother, and everyone at school hates her. Also, she happens to be a lesbian. In the first chapter she's sitting in class, dealing with bad memories. The teacher, Mrs. Jones, asks her to stay after to talk to her. (I had a teacher in high school JUST like her with the same name! Did we go to the same school are something) Eva assures her everything is fine and starts walking to her locker. She notices all the students are looking at her, as if waiting for her to do something, or more accurately, find something. That's when she finds someone has written the word 'DYKE' across her locker. Mortified and running home to her mother, who slaps her and degrades her, Eva decides to do the only thing she can think of: Kill herself by drowning herself in her bathtub.

Characters

Eva - Eva is our heroine, and regardless of how you view suicide, the events leading up to her attempt are true to real life, especially with the string of recent suicides involving gay teenagers. Her father abandoned her when she was small, leaving her to her mother, who I think is mentally ill. Also her older brother Scott has left as well, but we don't know the exact circumstances around it yet. I found myself, not really pitying Eva, but rooting for her and being emotionally invested as she decided to drown herself. I want her to get better and succeed and I can only hope as the story continues, we can see that. Lord knows I'll be reading!

Susan (Eva's Mother) - An alcoholic and abusive to Eva, Susan is a character who you can't help despise from the first chapter. The first time we see her in the first chapter is her sitting in her chair, smelly and cruel and demanding Eva make her dinner. She's one of the many antagonists in this story and I hope to see more of her and maybe her eventual recovery and apology.

Jessica - She's Eva's potential love interest in the story. She smiles quite a bit, which unnerves Eva, but from what little we see of her in the first chapter, she's the only character besides Mrs. Jones who shows Eva any ounce of kindness.

Overall

This story is raw and deals with a subject not many are comfortable with. Suicide and homosexuality. I have to commend the author for this, because already Eva is a character to root for, and one you want to see fixed, regardless of who does it. If you're squeamish about this kind of thing, then skip this one, but if not, go for it because this one is added to my library!