Do You Know Eva- Chapter Three

Do You Know Eva?

-Chapter Three-

-Moment of Happiness -

I lay on my bed in my cold room. Saturday night and I am sitting in, as usual. In the distance I hear the sounds of the television. A flash memory of the night in which I tried to kill myself is brought to mind. The loneliness always brings out the worst in me. Head lights of a car beam into my room. A car has pulled up into my driveway. I sit up on my bed and look out the window, through the cracks of my pink curtains. The doorbell rings next. I jump off the bed and, as quick as the Flash, I run to the door to save myself the embarrassment of my mother answering the door. Not that she will budge from her couch.

The door swings open revealing Jessica. She wears a casual outfit; skinny jeans and a pink hooded jumper.

"Hey." She says, in her sweet voice.

"Jessica! What... what are you doing here?" I turn around to make sure mum doesn't see Jessica.

"I was just in the neighborhood and was wondering if you wanted to hang out or something..."

I smile.

"Eh, yeah sure! Definitely! Just let me grab my jacket."

The cold night breeze flows as me and Jessica walk the deserted neighborhood. Jessica's hands are nestled in a pouch on her jumper. Her hair is rustling in the wind.

"How are you Eva?" She asks, breaking the silence.

"I'm fine. I'm good. How are you Jessica?"

"I'm good too, I guess."

"Tell me, why did you move to Rivendale? I mean out of all the places in the world, you choose Rivendale."

"Well that's it; this is like the only place I've never lived in."

"So you and your parents must move around a lot then."

"Yes, I do. But not so much my parents, wherever they are."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm adopted. I have never known my parents."

"So when you say you move around a lot, you mean..."

"Different families. I never seem to settle. Or something happens that forces me to leave." Jessica becomes uncomfortable, as if trying to block out a memory. There is an awkward silence as Jessica reflects.

We come up to the abandoned house at the end of the estate. We stop at the gates. Above us, the stars glisten in the sky and the toe nail shaped moon provides us with light.

"Well..." Jessica says, smiling.

"Well, what?"

"Wanna come in?"

"Sure."

Jessica opens the rot iron gate and we enter the small garden. We come up to the door-less entrance. She turns to me as if to say, 'you go first'. I proceed first. The broken glass shatters beneath my feet.

"What is it that you find so attracting about this house, Eva?" Jessica asks, looking around and sniffling her nose.

"I don't know. This house is over two hundred years old. So many memories in it, happy ones I'm guessing."

"The night I first met you, what were you doing here?"

"Thinking..."

"About killing yourself?"