Do You Know Eva- Chapter Nine

• Dedicated to Tasha Lynch

Do You Know Eva?

-Chapter Nine-

-Do You Know Jessica?–

-Jessica-

I stare at the keyhole, my head against my pillow, from my bed. The only thing I can see is the light shining through the hole. But even through this small hole, I can tell that he is there. I locked my door before getting into bed tonight but that never really holds him off. He lifts his hand to the circular door knob and twists it.

“Jessica. Why must you make this so difficult for me?” He says, with a hint of sarcasm as we both know that the locked door is nothing difficult for him to overcome. I pull the duvet over my head. My head and heart are throbbing. The door begins shaking and suddenly burst open slamming against the wall.

The wooden floor begins to creak as he makes his way over towards my bed. Through the sheet I can see his silhouette. So tall, well built, well fattened. A bear bottle hangs from his fingers of his left hand, a cigarette in the other.

“Come outta there Jessie Jane. Come on.”

I grip the blanket as tight as I can. Maybe he will walk away; maybe he will realize that what he is doing is wrong especially considering that I am only eleven years old. I begin to cry, the tears slide down my face and land on the mattress.

“Don’t cry honey.”

“Please… please leave me alone…”

Suddenly the blankets are pulled from me and I am revealed to him, crunched up in a ball. He stares at me, a grin spreading across his face. I jump from the bed and run into my closet. Through the cracks I watch him make his way over to the closet. He pulls open the wooden frame, I scream in fear, he grabs me…

I awake with a startle. I face the door, but not the same door. I escaped from that home years ago but unfortunately I had to endure his games for another three years. When the social services found out about him he was arrested and put into prison. You would think that would be enough justice, but its not. No amount of prison sentences will be justice for me or for any other child he…

The door opens and my foster mum peeks her head in.

“Oh you are awake darling! Someone is here to see you.”

“Who is it?” I ask, confused. Who would be looking for me at nine in the morning?

“She said her name was… oh what was it? Emma? Ella? No…” she trails off trying to remember her name.

“Eva?”

“Yes! That’s the one; Eva is downstairs in the living room.”

“Okay tell her I will be down in a minute. Thanks Liv.” She smiles but looks insulted that I still haven’t called her mum after two years. She nods and leaves. I jump out of bed; my head tells me that it was too fast. I run downstairs in my pajamas and enter the living room to find Eva sitting on the couch with her hands on her lap, a cup of tea in front of her.

“I see she got to you…” I say, smiling.

“What?” Eva replies.

“The tea… she’s a bit obsessed with… oh never mind. What's up?” I ask, noticing how jittery she looks.

“My father came back. He’s a bit angry that I never told him about Susan leaving and also about the stabbing. He is making me go to Boston with him for a week.”