Do You Know Eva- Chapter Fourteen

Do You Know Eva?

-Chapter Fourteen-

-The Shoot Out–

I open the schools front doors, the sounds of sirens ring in my ear. I stand on shattered glass, fresh cuts running across my cheek, the warm blood sliding down my face. The news crew jumps with excitement to see another survivor. The reporters run over to me, after two cops escort me over to an ambulance to have my wounds checked out. I am in a complete daze, after what I have just seen. It was supposed to be a normal day. One of the cops wraps a grey blanket over me as two cameras are pushed into my face.

“Were you close to the victim?” the female reporter from Rivendale News at Six asks extending a microphone to my mouth.

“We all were. Everybody loved her, I, probably the most.” I reply, remembering her death, her fall from grace, the last thing she said to me.

“What about the shooter? Did you know her?” A mans voice somewhere asks. Another microphone comes into view.

“I just met her. She was so… nice. I didn’t think she would do something like this.” I reply.

“Two people died today, Eva. Can you give us any other details? What happened today? Were you one of the hostages?”

How did they know my name? I guess everything changes now.

It was supposed to be a normal day, but now everyone in Rivendale will remember this day, the day a student brought a gun to school.

Seven Hours Earlier

I climb out of bed on a cold Tuesday morning. The rain beats against the window as the wind shakes the frame. Days like this were normal in our town, especially being beside the ocean. I pull on some clothes and grab my bag and walk downstairs. Susan is sitting in the kitchen, drinking from a cup. This sight is new to me, never have I seen her up this early.

“Good morning Eva.” She says, smiling.

“Morning. Why are you up so early? It’s seven am.”

“I have to go to a meeting at eight.” She replies.

“Like for work?” I ask, I don’t remember her saying she has a job.

“AA.” She takes out a coin that has the number 28 written on it. “Twenty eight days sober.” She says proudly.

“I’m proud of you. Mum. Anyway I gotta get to school. See you later.”

“I’ll drop you to school if you want. Save you walking in the rain.”

“It’s okay. I like the rain.”

“Okay, okay, but I’m picking you up,” she insists, resting her coffee cup on the table, “maybe we can go to the mall after school or something, get some ice cream maybe?”

“Yeah, that would be nice. It’s a date.”

The school bell rings just as I enter the front doors. Class has already started; I should have gotten that lift. I run to my locker, stash my wet jacket and hat in it and grab some books. The hallway is empty now, almost eerie. I hear the sound of shoes clicking against the cream tiles. I turn to see Eilish standing at the end of the hall, her black hair almost covering her face. From this distance she looks like a zombie, lifeless. I smile at her but she just turns and opens her locker. She looks upset, should I talk to her? I’m already late for class. I’ll catch up with her at lunch. I close the locker and walk by her. I should have asked her what was up.