Part 37: Ships

Keiji and Kaori looked up at the sailing ships.  Even on Earth, early sailing ships couldn't match the gigantic scale of this one.

No less than 300 meters in length, and as large as a ten-story building, it was only partly visible from the ground. All along their hull magnificent decorations were mounted. Although rotted, they still gave off a strong impression that made you want to admire them.

While holding Kaori, Keiji flew upward and landed on the Terrace at the top of the Luxury liner. Then, sure enough, the surrounding space began to distort.

"Again?... Kaori prepare yourself. Something is bound to happen."

"Right."

Keiji felt that Kaori's response was proof that she was back to her normal self for the time being. He understood she was happy about the kiss but She should at least hold it in check until the exploration of Meljeene Deep Sea Ruins was done, thought while sharply scratching his cheek.

Keiji took a quick survey of  their altered environment, this time it seemed they were on top of a luxury liner sailing out at sea.

Presently it's nighttime, with the full moon shining in the heavens. The luxury liner is shining with light sparkles, and on the deck, there are various arrangements of buffet-type style cuisine lined up with many people who were chatting while having delicious-looking food in one hand. Presently it was nighttime, with a full moon glowing in the heavens. The luxury liner shone with sparkling lights, and on the deck were various arrangements of buffet-style cuisine lined up with a crowd of people chatting together while holding delicious-looking food in one hand.

"A party...how strange?"

"Haa, it sure is dazzling. Did we misunderstand Meljeene's concept?"

"I'm it is more than meets the eye so stay on guard."

Keiji and Kaori were standing upon a raised terrace, probably an area reserved for the crew, while looking down on the enormous deck and trying to get their heads around the difference between this cheerful party and the ghastly sight they had witnessed last time.

Then, just as they decided to take a brief rest, the door behind them opened and several chatting sailors walked out.  Rather than risk losing this chance while they took a rest, they decided to mix in with the sailors and listen to their conversation.

From listening to the sailor's stories they learned that this maritime party was apparently being held in celebration of the end of the war. The war that had continued for so many years, rather than ending through invasion and annihilation, had been resolved by signing a peace treaty. The sailors seemed happy, and if they looked closely they were able to see that not only were there humans on the deck but also devils and demi-humans. Without distinction for race, everyone was freely chatting among themselves.

"There was an age such as this, wasn't there?"

"It certainly was a great achievement for all those people to give so much effort to end the war. Although I'm not sure how many years have passed since the end of the war, surely not all of the ill feelings have faded, yet they are still able to laugh so freely..."

"Surely the people down there must be similar to those who tried their best to end the war. Everyone is different, seeing this doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is able to laugh together so soon."

"That's true..."

Getting caught up in the atmosphere and bright expressions of the people, Keiji and Kaori also naturally loosened up. After a while, they saw an elderly man climbing up onto a stage prepared on the deck. There was a sense of respect in the eyes of the people below as they noticed him on stage and abruptly stopped chatting to focus on him.