Act 1 - Chapter 8

Neville didn't know exactly why Harry was on a warpath the past few days, but he wasn't going to argue. Umbridge was terrible to everyone. She taught them nothing and gave out detentions like candy. While Neville had never personally gotten a detention, he had seen the aftermath on one of the younger Gryffindors.

Perhaps that's why, he mused as he got ready for bed. He always did hate anyone who hurts kids.

He laid awake for a long while, thinking on the matter. He finally fell asleep with the thought of an Umbridgeless school.

He woke up to Harry shaking him awake. The look on his face was grave. "We must speak to Professor McGonagall," he said urgently. "Go, wake the twins."

Neville nodded quickly and stood up. He didn't bother dressing, sensing they didn't have the time. While Harry went to find McGonagall, Neville rushed to the older boys' dormitories and found the twins.

As he shook them awake, he wondered what was so urgent. Doesn't matter right now, he thought. I just need to get the twins to McGonagall's office like Harry said.

George and Fred both blinked up at Neville sleepily. That is, until they saw the worry that adorned his face. Then, they were wide awake. "What happened?"

"I don't know but Harry said to wake you and get you to McGonagall's office. It didn't seem good."

They followed Neville to McGonagall's where Harry was pacing and trying to explain something. "It wasn't just a dream, Professor! I know a vision when I get one! He's been bitten and we need to get someone on it. Do you want to risk a man's life, Arthur's life, on the off-chance that I'm wrong?"

She saw the three students in the doorway and winced at the horror on the twins' faces. "Come with me," she said before striding out of the office and towards Dumbledore's office.

They followed quickly and soon they were in Dumbledore's office. When they entered, Dumbledore was sitting at his desk. He looked up and Neville was surprised to see that he looked wide awake, despite how late it was. "Oh, it's you, Professor McGonagall... and... ah..." Neville could see that he wouldn't meet Harry's eyes and he wondered why.

"Headmaster Dumbledore, Potter has had a... well, a nightmare," McGonagall said. "He says..."

"It wasn't a nightmare," Harry interrupted. "Yes, I was asleep, but no, it wasn't something from my imagination. Arthur was attacked by a snake, in the Department of Mysteries."

Dumbledore frowned. "How did you see this?"

Neville scowled. How was that important? If Arthur was attacked, did it really matter how Harry knew? He saw Harry taking deep breaths to calm himself and wondered if perhaps he should fetch Draco. After all, Draco calmed him down the fastest.

"I saw it through the connection he made with me when he made me a horcrux. He hasn't realized it yet and his occlumency shields aren't up. Now, are you going to get someone to check on Arthur or not?"

Nobody spoke for a moment, everyone shocked and white-faced. Then, Dumbledore said, "Is Arthur seriously injured?"

Neville made a mental note to give Life permission to mess with the old man for a while. Harry already said he was!

"He'll be dead if he's not found in the next ten minutes," Harry snapped.

Neville turned to the twins as Dumbledore started speaking to the paintings. Luckily, neither of the adults were paying attention to him. He smiled reassuringly at them. "Do not worry," he said quietly, "he is not destined to die this day." If he was, Harry would not be trying so hard to prevent it. It's the balance that the three protect.

They calmed a bit at that, knowing Neville to be the Master of Life. Understandably, they were still worried, just less so.

Neville was brought back into the adults' conversation when he heard Dumbledore shout, "PHINEAS!"

The painting he was yelling at did not move until Harry harshly said, "Now, Phineas.

The portrait flinched violently at Harry's tone. His eyes opened wide and fixed on Harry. "I'm sorry," he said. "What is it you need?"

"I need you to visit your other portrait again, Phineas," Dumbledore said. "I've got another message."

"Visit my other portrait?" Phineas said in a reedy voice, giving a long, fake yawn (though his eyes still focused on Harry). "Oh, not tonight, Dumbledore, I'm much too tired."

Neville groaned as Harry's eyes flashed. "Now," he said.

The other portraits, who had been yelling at Phineas for not doing his duty, fell silent as Phineas nodded.

"You are to give the keeper the message that Arthur Weasley has been gravely injured and that his wife, children, and Harry Potter will be arriving at Grimmauld shortly. Do you understand?"

"Yes, yes, Arthur Weasley injured, Harry Potter and fa-"

"Actually, I won't be going," Harry interrupted. "Arthur will live and I have other business to attend to over the holidays."

Before Dumbledore could protest, Phineas was gone. "You really should visit him, Harry," Dumbledore said.

Harry looked at the twins before nodding shortly. "I will make a point to stop by St. Mungo's to visit, but I will not be staying at my godfather's former home."

Neville understood his reasoning. Their auras would react negatively to the dark magic that fills the former Black Residence. He would be visiting his parents over the holidays; he would add an extra stop to wish his friends' father well.

Dumbledore looked upset at the news. "I did not know your muggle relatives asked for you to return for the holidays."

Harry's gaze turned sharp. "You miss a lot when you avoid people, Headmaster. I am no longer living with the Dursleys, but with my godfather. Now, good night."

--------------------------------------

Sorry it's been so long. We're visiting family in Oregon and I've been up late every night writing. So, I'm currently sleep deprived and socially exhausted. On the bright side, I get to see my niece! She's adorable.

Anyways, love you all! 💕