"When you break their ego, that's just where it's at"

Kanzaki POV:

What do I do?

At this point, has anything I've ever done been worth it?

The thing I've wanted, from the very beginning, was simple. Change. A change in Ichinose by forcing the masses of the class to oppose her. Of course, I had no intention of taking away her position as a class leader. But now, I have what I wanted. I didn't even do anything to get it myself, but she's there walking every day in front of me like a different person.

Do I continue and double down for the sake of my pride or just give up and accept how things are now?

"So, what are you thinking about?" Himeno asked me.

She had a rather confused expression.

"Are you drunk?" she asked as she placed a hand on her hip.

"Not that I'm aware of," I sighed and straightened my posture.

Laying back and staring up at the ceiling is not good for my back.

"Aware of, huh? Maybe your secret enemy drugged you in your sleep. And then, slowly, the poison spreads to your mind until you become a walking zombie," Himeno stated in a monotone voice.

You know, I'd expect it to be a joke, but now I'm not so sure.

"How oddly specific. Is this a mutiny?" I asked her.

"Hmm, maybe if I feel like it."

So, today's the day, huh? And yet, I don't feel like I should do it. It's like the colour has gone from the world and every step I would take, and every blink, would make me sink further into an abyss.

"Would you say I'm a prideful person?" I asked Himeno.

Himeno sat on the table next to me and looked at me with a speculating gaze.

"Hmm, who would you consider a prideful person, then? Don't go to extremes, either. Because I feel like no matter what you say, you're not as bad in comparison," Himeno told me.

"That's weirdly nice of you to say," I mumbled.

She raised a brow and blinked a few times in confusion.

"Nah, you're just a pushover. I've drained around 20,000 points worth of food from you," Himeno stated with an amused gaze.

"Not my fault you're a glutton," I mumbled under my breath.

"What was that?" she snapped.

"Nothing..."

She sighed and placed an elbow on her thigh and her cheek in the palm of her hand.

"Good. So do you have second thoughts?"

I softly nodded.

At this point, it's a question of pride. From observations and actions she's done, Ichinose is quite different from before. And that day, the day she explained to us what she did regarding Nagumo-senpai and Sakayanagi and their punishment, it was when I had realised it. The previous Ichinose... Well, she'd never do that. And then, with this upcoming matter with Ryuuen, she had asked us if she could make the decision. Of course, since the class trusted her, they agreed with no pushback.

And I'm sure that in the back of their minds, they had the same thought I had.

Ryuuen Kakeru would be expelled.

"Really, it's more like every action we take against Ichinose does more harm than good. So what's the point?" I sighed.

"Woah, woah, woah. Did I talk to all your friends for nothing then?!" Himeno whined.