Chapter 24: I Never saw that coming...

Chapter 24

~Grady’s POV~

I wasn’t quite sure when exactly it all went to hell but all I know is, one minute I was kissing his neck, my body cushioned between his legs, his hands trapped beneath mine and the next minute I was staring down into his terror filled eyes and watching him hyperventilate.

I stopped short, my eyes scanning his in concern. “Thomas? What’s wrong?” I questioned.

When he didn’t answer but continued to look at me as if he was staring into the eyes of the devil himself I immediately loosened my grip from his arms but it wasn’t until I pulled away from him all together and came to rest on my knees on the end of the couch that he seemed to ‘calm down’ a bit, if you could even call it that.

I got up from the couch, my eyes still glued to his still frame and came around to kneel onto the cold hard floor at his head, but I didn’t reach out to touch him. “Thomas? Did I hurt you? Talk to me man.” I almost pleaded. I didn’t understand what was going on.

I watched as he sat up slowly, bending his knees so that his elbows rested on them and buried his face in his hands. He still had yet to acknowledge me and as I knelt and watched him, my concern grew.

“Thomas?” I questioned uncertainly and when he still continued to remain silent I got up and sat next to him on the couch. It wasn’t until I touched him gently on his back trying to get his attention that I realized he was trembling. His flesh was still heated to the touch but goose bumps rose up over his skin and I listened as he tried to get his breathing under control.

“Jesus Thomas, I-if I did something to hurt you I’m sorry, maybe I was too rough-“ I started in panic but he let out a deep breath and spoke, cutting off the rest of my panic-filled apology.

“I thought I was over this.” He said, his voice breaking on the last word and I scooted closer to him, bringing my hand up to touch his tense shoulder.

“Over what?” I asked quietly. “Thomas you’re scaring me, just please tell me what’s wrong.” I said

“It’s been nine years, I didn’t think it would still affect me like this.” He said again in that same broken tone that had my heart pounding in fear and my brows furrowing in concern.

“I don’t understand.” I whispered, feeling helpless as he sat, his back turned to me, still visibly shaking.

He was obviously distressed over something but I couldn’t understand it. I tried to replay everything I had done in the past fifteen minutes but I couldn’t think of anything I had done to bring him to this state. We’d just been making out, I had nestled myself between his legs, restrained his hands with mine, kissed his neck and then…this.

“I thought I was over this.” He said again, almost as if he was talking to himself.

“Thomas please!” I pleaded once more. He had me beyond worried at this point and I had no idea what for.

He most have heard the tremor in my own voice because at that moment he looked over at me and my breath caught in my throat. Thomas was looking over at me with tears in his eyes and I watched in horror as they built up and spilled over, rolling down his cheeks and disappearing under his chin.

“Baby what’s wrong?” I whispered in question. Something had to be seriously wrong for Thomas to be shedding tears and I had a terrible feeling that I was the cause of it.

He took a shaky breath and ran his hand through his hair but the tears just kept building up and spilling over as he looked at me. It came to the point where I had an almost overwhelming urge to look away. I couldn’t stand to see people hurting and my best friend obviously was…I just didn’t know why.