Chapter 9: Because I love you

Chapter 9

“One section of the fence has been torn down along the outer perimeter so until the situation has been thoroughly investigated no one is allowed near the border.” He paused and scanned the crowd silently before he continued, “Anyone caught in breach of this order will be punished.” Carson declared to the silent pack.

“Let me remind you all that pack meetings are mandatory, if you don’t have a valid excuse to sit out then you should be in attendance and as is the usual practice; sanctions apply where necessary.” I informed them then looked down at the papers in my hand to see if I’d left out any important announcements, finding none, I glanced at Carson awaiting his instructions.

“Any questions?” Carson asked the crowd standing before us and a few hands went up.

“Yes I’d like to know when-” a member started but his words were drowned out when a loud shrill went up and everyone looked to the source of the sound; me.

Cursing silently under my breath I pulled my ringing phone out of my pocket prepared to turn it off; something I thought I had done before the meeting had begun. I absently glanced at the screen just as I was about to put an end to the noise but thought better of it when I saw Grady’s contact information pop up. He never called when he knew I had a meeting. Something must be up.

“I apologize, but I have to take this.” I addressed the crowd and ignored the glare Carson gave me as I walked to the back of the platform.

“Grady I’m in a meeting call me back in-” I started in a whisper.

“Thomas! I need your help!” he shouted before I could continue. His voice sounded breathless and strained and I instantly went on alert.

“What’s wrong?” I questioned.

I heard panting and the pounding of feet on the other end but he didn’t answer. I moved even further away from the platform, going to stand at the far side of the courtyard.

“Grady!” I hissed.

“I can’t ditch them!” he panted back and I could hear shouting in his background.

“Grady you’re not making any sense, what’s going on? Where are you?” I asked again. Then looked to the platform where Carson stood answering questions posed by the pack members then I  spun around in a flash running toward the fence and jumping it rather than wasting time going through the gate.

I pounded down the street with the phone stuck to my ear and listened as Grady rattled off a street address. It took me no time at all to get to my car and I was off.

“I’m on my way, what’s going on?” I asked again as I maneuvered the car through the main camp gate.

“Some guys are chasing me!” he shouted into the phone causing me to cringe slightly. “Thomas hurry they have gu-“ he started but  the sound of a gunshot sounded and the line went dead.

I froze in my seat and could have sworn my heart stopped the moment I heard it.

…………………………………

~Grady’s POV~

I ducked when the shot fired and my phone fell from my hand skating across the dirty cement-paved alleyway. Cursing my ill luck I continued running praying that Thomas would get here in time to help me out. I’d been running for about fifteen minutes but it felt like much longer.