Chapter 16:...DAY 6... Meet Jessie...

Chapter 16

I was bored as hell and pushing around a shopping cart while watching Grady read the ingredients on practically every item he touched wasn’t helping in the slightest.

“They’re called garlic sticks, can’t believe I’ve never seen them before.”Grady was saying while reading the ingredients on the box he’d just picked up. I rolled my eyes.

“Then put it in the cart already jeez I hate grocery shopping with you.” I said in exasperation.

Grady chose to ignore my outburst but dropped the snack into the cart, then he offered me a wide grin and we walked over to the next aisle.

“If you hate it so much then why’d you come?” he asked, a knowing smirk plastered on his handsome face.

My eyes widened in disbelief. “You’re the one who dragged me out of bed and wouldn’t shut up until I came with you!” I replied and watched him shrug off my words once again.

He sure knew how to irritate the hell out of someone I had to give him that. I always found it strange that he actually liked shopping. Ever since we were younger.

I on the other hand would prefer never to enter a mall, supermarket or any place for that matter that forced you to waste time sifting through a pile of useless stuff when you only came in for one thing.

“So I was thinking we could go to Marissa’s party tonight, it’s gonna be at her dad’s club, free booze and they’re not asking for ID’s” Grady turned to me and said. His eyes were shining with the excitement only a party animal could have and I grinned. Finally a chance to do something other than sit at home or shop.

“Yeah I’m cool with-”

“Well I’m afraid you’re both going to have to change your plans, camp’s on lock down tonight, no pack member is allowed out. We’re doing an investigation. We’ve gotten word that someone in the pack instigated the tearing down of the fence at the border and we want to find out why.” Carson said from behind startling us both.

“Hey guys.” Laken said with a huge grin and wave as he stood beside his mate, pushing a shopping cart similar to mine.

What was this? Take your mate shopping day?

“You found out who did it? Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked him.

“Until you’re fully recovered and some other issues are dealt with you won’t be briefed on executive matters.” Carson said simply.

“Are those garlic sticks? I didn’t know they had those.” Laken said as he dipped into our cart and pulled out the box and we all looked at him.

“Yeah that’s what I was saying too, it’s over in aisle three.” Grady told him.

Wow, so Grady couldn’t stand talking to Laken on a daily basis but as soon as food was involved they were best friends?

 I shook my head.

“Cool, I’ll be right back.” Laken told Carson who nodded with a smile then turned his attention back to us.

“What do you mean other issues? What’s going on?” I asked Carson again. My face growing serious. I hated being out of the loop.

“You and your mate.” Carson answered and when my brows furrowed in confusion he went on “I’ve been observing you two for awhile now and you have too many unresolved issues that you need to work out.” He said.

“What does that have to do with the me being left out of the loop?” I asked still unsure where he was going with this.

“You’ve been distracted for awhile now Thomas and it only seems to be getting worse, I can’t have that. The pack needs your full attention otherwise you’re useless to them. Do you understand?” he asked. His tone brooked no argument and so I nodded.