56

The morning started off with a bang.

Literally.

I jolted awake at the sound of clattering metal coming from downstairs.

That must be my mom rearranging everything... again.

She does that a lot, mostly when she's upset or frustratedly annoyed—or both. Reluctantly, I drag myself out of bed with tired eyes and make my way downstairs. Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs, I groaned at the aching in my head.

When I enter the kitchen, my mom is picking up cookware from the tiled floor. "Mom?"

"Oh, Sorry Dally. Did I wake you?"

"Kinda." I answered before yawning.

She sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm just, stress-cleaning."

"And what exactly is it that you are stressing over?"

"It's nothing." She says.

"Mom." I pressed.

"Ugh, fine." She slumped her shoulders down. "Your father's mother is coming over for lunch today."

"Why?" I wondered.

"Who knows? Probably to call me fat to my face like she always does."

"I always thought that grandma loved you?"

"Are you kidding me?" Mom laughs. "She hates me and she always has."

"I highly doubt that." I say.

"Make sure you tidy your bedroom, you know how she likes to snoop." She says. "The woman acts as if she owns the place."

"You act like she's crazy."

"That's because she is. Did I ever tell you about the first time your father ever brought me home?"

"Uh, maybe?" I honestly couldn't recall.

"Well, the night was going perfectly until your father went to the bathroom. Then your grandmother called me a trashy trollop right to my face." She says. "Then I called her a shrivelled up bitch, and then she threw a cob loaf at me."

"Oh my god, seriously?" I was shocked.

"It missed by an inch, but still. There's a lot of animosity between us. I think she might've wanted to murder me at one stage."

"I'm sure she's over it." I say, though I couldn't truly be sure. My grandmother has always been dead-set in her ways.

"Do I have to be here for the lunch?" I groaned. "I have that wedding to go to."

"Mitchell said the wedding doesn't start until seven o'clock." Mom says.

Lucy's dad and future step-mother had decided to go with a sunset ceremony on the beach, which sounded like a nice idea.

Wait.

How does Mitchell know what time it starts?