53

Mitchell and I spent over an hour in the hospital room with Grayson, until we were asked to leave when visiting hours were over.

The next morning, I ecstatically get up out of bed and hop into the shower. Since I no longer had to actually go to school, I figured I would spend the day with Grayson in the hospital, at least until I have to go to work. Luckily, my hours were flexible.

At first, the water spraying out of the shower head was ice cold. It took a minute to warm up, to which I then step in and let the water rain on me.

After showering, I get dressed and head downstairs to get something to eat.

My mom and dad are seated at the dining table. Dad is reading a newspaper, which completely baffles me. Like, who even reads newspapers anymore?

My mom, on the other hand, was opening mail.

"There's an envelope for you." She says when I walk into the kitchen. She holds up a large yellow envelope.

"It's probably school work." I say, reaching to the top cabinet for a bowl and a mug.

"I still don't understand why you don't want to go back to school." Dad says.

"I already told you why." I groaned, setting the empty mug and bowl on the countertop. I then walk over to the refrigerator to get milk and orange juice. Afterwards, I walk over to the pantry and get a box of Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes.

"I'm sure all the rumors and whatnot have died down." He says.

"They weren't rumors." I say. "I've told you that, also."

"So, you're gay?" He wonders.

Here we go again.

"No. I'm not gay. I'm just not straight either." I pour cereal into the bowl before chasing it with milk. I then head over to the drawers and fish out a clean spoon.

"That doesn't make sense." Dad added.

Tell me about it.

"What he's trying to say is that he doesn't have to be gay to like a boy." Mom added.

"If he likes boys, that makes him gay." Dad responded.

"He likes a boy." Mom corrected. "And there's such thing as bisexuality."

Dad sighed. "I don't get this stuff."

"You don't have to get it." I tell him. "It's my life."

"I'm not trying to be unsupportive." He says. "I just, I'm not up to speed with all these different sexualities and all that."

I rolled my eyes as I take a seat at the table. "Surely you've had an attraction for a guy at one point."

My dad scoffed. "Don't be ridiculous."

"What about you, mom? You ever felt attracted to a female before?"

Dad shook his head at my behavior.

"Well, there was this one girl in college." Mom says.

Huh?

I was only kidding!

My mouth falls open in shock.

"She's lying." Dad says.

"I am not. Her name was Maria, and we might have made out on more than one occasion."

"Oh my god." I choked.

"Wait, Maria? Your college roommate, Maria?" Dad wondered.

"Yep." Mom laughed.