37

7pm that night, I was seated in my bedroom when a car pulls into the driveway. Due to the house being awkwardly silent, I can hear the car door shut.

Mitchell had football practice, so I have been alone in the house for the last few hours, which was eerie. I never liked staying home alone. The unending silence, so quiet that I could hear dogs barking from the next block over. They were Mrs Ruthersons dogs. She has six in total. A Yorkshire Terrier named Jana, a Chihuahua named Mellow—though he was anything but—two Pomeranians: one girl, one boy. The girl was named Bonnie and the boy was named, wait for it... Clyde. Yes, she named them after the notorious criminal couple. A pug named Duke, and a Maltese dog named Lady Esmeralda. The reason I know this, is because I used to walk them for her the past few years. Then, her granddaughter moved in with her and she no longer needed help. Not that any of that is at all relevant.

I make my way downstairs and see my dad walk inside before closing the door behind him. He looks tired.

"Did it go okay?" I wondered.

"Yes." He says. "Doctors say she has to stay overnight to see how she reacts to the chemo. If it's not too rough on her, they say she will be able to come home instead of staying in hospital." He slips off his shoes and heads to the kitchen.

"We will need to tidy the house, and sterilise everything." He continues on as I follow him. "But we can do all that tomorrow."

A knock on the front door stops me from what I was about to say.

Who could that be?

I look over to my dad, who is currently pouring a glass of orange juice and is just as surprised as I am.

It's probably the woman next door asking for some sugar, again.

I guess she works so much that it's that much of a stretch to buy sugar from the convenience store.

I walk to the front door and open it.

It's Cody.

"What do you want?" I basically scowled.

"Can we talk?"

"So now you want to talk? Yeah, no thanks." I start to close the door.

"Dal, please." He implored.

The nerve.

I open the door back up and move outside. I walk over to the bench on the front porch and take a seat, patiently waiting to hear whatever nonsense Cody was about to spill.

He hesitated taking a seat beside me, but he does.

It's so strange. The guy who I thought was my best friend is sitting right beside me, and I no longer recognised him.

"I'm sorry." He says. "I am an idiot."

"Yeah, you are." I added.

He sighed. "I shouldn't have left you out. I didn't say anything to our friends, about... I just. I told them that I didn't want to be around you."

"It sucked." I tell him.

"I'm sorry, I just didn't know how to be around you. It's my fault, I ruined everything between us." He says.

It was silent for a minute before I turn to face him. "Cody, You're an awesome person, and I'm sorry I don't feel the same way as you do, I really am. I was scared when you told me you had feelings for me, not scared because of it, but scared of what would happen after. You've always been there for me, for as long as I can remember it's been me and you. Whenever I fell out of a tree, you were there to help me up. Whenever I needed someone to talk to, you were there. I'm glad you told me, you were honest and open. I love you like a best friend, but I'm sorry I don't feel anything romantic for you. The last thing I want to do is hurt you." My hand is placed on his shoulder.