21

I awoke to a gentle shove in the right shoulder. It was Grayson, and he was informing me that he had reached our destination.

I cannot believe that I fell asleep.

I shook my head awake, trying my best to make it seem like I wasn't asleep. I could easily have just been resting my eyes.

"Did you have a nice sleep?" He asked.

"I wasn't asleep, I was... resting my eyes?" I couldn't even sound convincing.

"Okay, well then explain your drool-stain on my shirt?" His right index finger pointed to a damp stain on his deep blue polo shirt.

I felt my cheeks flush red.

Fuck, this is embarrassing.

"Well, you kept choosing boring music." I blamed him. In my defence, it was majorly true. His taste in music was so dull and depressing that it made me fall asleep.

"My music was awesome and you know it." Was his comeback. He grinned, and I almost forgot that I hated him. Hate. I hate him. Present tense.

The bus halted to a complete stop before it's door opened.

"Alright kids, once you get off the bus, go and get your luggage and wait on the grass for the Camp Director." Said Mister Whelan, who happened to be one of our supervisors for the camping trip. The other supervisor was Miss Edwards.

"By the way, you got a text from your friend while you were drooling on me." Grayson tells me as we waited for the aisle to be vacant.

I always hated how crowded a bus aisle gets when it's time to get off.

I pull out my phone and check my texts to find one from Cody.

Cody:
Please don't tell anyone.

Me:
I won't, I promise.

I turn my phone off and slipped it into my pocket.

"Must be rough finding out that your best friend has a thing for you." Grayson says.

I turn to face him, my eyelids narrowing as I stare daggers at him. "Did you seriously read my texts?"

His lips tensed before he responded with an innocent tone of voice. "I may have accidentally read a few."

Is he being serious?

I shake my head with utter annoyance before shoving him off of his seat and into the aisle. He stands up and brushes it off like nothing happened.

Idiot.

I stand up and wait for him to move down the aisle so that I could finally get the hell off and get the hell away from him. Of course Grayson Scott wouldn't have a problem with invading someone's privacy. And now he knows that Cody said that he likes me, breaking the promise I made that I wouldn't tell a soul. Well, to be fair, I technically didn't tell Grayson, but it was still shitty of him to go through my texts. There's no way he would have known that Cody had a crush on me if he didn't go through our texts beforehand.

I hastily walk behind him, desperate for fresh air to envelop me. I was also desperate to finally be able to stretch my legs. When I finally made it off of the bus, I retrieved my luggage and approached Phillip and Hannah.

"I wish I could share a cabin with you guys." Hannah says with a frown. "I'll probably be stuck with that girl who never stops yapping about how her pet cat looks like Garfield."

"He kinda does though." Phillip says.

"No, he doesn't. How can a real life cat look like an animated cat who loves eating lasagna?" Hannah rolls her eyes.

"There will be four people assigned to each cabin." Says the camp director lady. She was roughly in her mid thirties and her facial expression was far too happy that it was unsettling. "Hi, I'm Janet, I'm in charge around here."

My mind dozed off as she continued talking. I couldn't stop thinking about Cody, and the fact that he has a thing for me. I know I promised that I wouldn't tell anyone, but I needed advice on how to not ruin our friendship. I've never thought of Cody as more than my best friend, but I didn't want to admit that to him. I don't want to hurt him, how could I? That could potentially ruin everything.

"Here are pamphlets that contain a map and all sorts of information about this camp." Janet held a stack of pamphlets in her right hand. "I'll let your supervisors choose your cabins for you."

Mister Whelan and Miss Edwards waved at us as they stood beside Janet.

Thankfully I was placed in the same cabin as Phillip, along with a guy named Leonard and another guy named Rohan. I didn't really know Leonard that much, since he had just moved to our school a few months ago, but Rohan seemed like an alright guy.

After dropping off our luggage to our cabin, we met back up with Janet and our supervisors before we were taken on a tour of the campsite. First, we were taken to the dining hall, where we would have breakfast, lunch and dinner during our stay. Next, we were taken into the woods, which after a fifteen minute walk, led us to the lake. "This is where you'll go kayaking tomorrow." Janet explained to us. When the tour was over, we were all split into two competitive groups: team Green and team Red, which were clearly Christmas inspired team names. Janet explained that the two separate groups were designed for festivities that would take place during our stay. Such as a kayak race, an obstacle course, and more.

Hannah, Phillip and I were placed in Team Green, alongside Olive (the girl who supposedly had a cat that looked like Garfield) along with Brock, one of Mitchell's friends, and a bunch of other people whose names I could not remember to save my life. Overall, each team had a total of fifteen people to it.

If I had known this camping trip would be one giant competition, I would have chosen to stay home alone.

"For the rest of today, we will relax. But bright and early tomorrow, the festivities shall commence." Says Janet, which thought that adding a little dance to that statement would be a good idea.

It wasn't.

"Is there wifi here?" Hannah wondered. I'm glad someone asked, because the reception out here was crazy.

"There is no wifi, sorry." Janet explained with a frown.

"Who needs wifi when you're going to have so much fun!" Miss Edwards said with feigned cheer.

We're all going to die of absolute boredom...