46 (Mitchell)

I couldn't believe it.

Grayson and my brother?!

Kissing?

Like what the actual fuck!?

After waiting in the hall for almost an hour, we were now—finally—seated in the principal's office, awaiting our punishment.

"Mitchell, Mitchell, Mitchell." Principal Baker shakes her head at me. She then turns to Grayson.

"Grayson, Grayson, Grayson." She scoffed.

"Aren't y'all supposed to be besties?"

Principal Baker was one of those teachers who think of themselves as 'cool'.

She taps her nails against the surface of the table in a rhythm.

"I'm sure y'all's fighting has got something to do with the picture that was posted on the forum earlier today." She stops tapping her nails and rises from her seat to pace around the room. "Rest assured, I have already assigned the geeky computer nerds to figure out who posted it. I'm not sure if they will, because, quite frankly, I think they just sit around in those computer labs to play video games and watch tv series. Speaking of tv series..."

Oh my god.

"Have y'all seen Outer Banks?"

I cleared my throat.

"Alrighty, let's get down to business." She turns to face us. "I want you both to apologise to one another."

Huh?

That's it?

No detention, no suspension? Nothing?

Just an apology?

"That's it?" Grayson wondered.

Bitch.

"You are both the star players of the football team. I know it's my duty to remind you that this school has a zero bullying policy, and a more strict principal would suspend your asses and kick you from the team, but I heard that our school is versing Hurstville this week, and I hate those little weirdos. And don't even get me started on their principal." She rolled her eyes. "You'll both have lunch time detention tomorrow, but only if you apologise to each other."

I groaned. "I am sorry."

"Sorry." Grayson said immediately afterwards.

"Now that's more like it." She takes a seat again. "Now, I know you and your family are dealing with a lot right now, Mitchell. I'd like to talk to you about Dallas."

"What about him?" I wondered.

"I didn't want to have to drag your parents in here with all that's going on, so I hope you'll be able to help him." She takes a breath. "Your brother has been skipping a lot lately, and has many overdue assignments. I am all for cutting him some slack, but there is only so much I can do. I think he may be going through a hard time, and I would like you to please talk with him. If he keeps skipping school and not handing in his assignments, he will be forced to repeat next year."

I hadn't realised he has skipped so much school. So much that he may be repeated?

How did I not notice?

"Now, with all this gossip spreading around, I am deeply concerned for him. He was also marked absent for first period, I assume he left because of.. you know. I think you should head home and make sure he's okay."

"Okay?" I say.

"I gave the computer geeks until the end of the day to figure out who posted the picture, or even to figure out who created the forum. If they do not succeed by the end of day, I will be bringing in the police."

Oh shit.

"Anyways, you two better behave. If y'all go fighting again, I will not hesitate to suspend you. You got it?"

She gives both me and Grayson a pointed look.

"Got it." We both say at the same time.

"Good. Now get the hell out of my office."

With that, I stand up from my chair and head out.

I make my way towards the school's entrance when Grayson says. "Are you seriously gonna stay mad?"

Fuming, I halted and turned to face him with nostrils flared.

"I told you not to mess around with my brother." I said through gritted teeth.

THREE YEARS AGO..

Grayson and I were sitting in his bedroom playing video games when he paused the game.

"I have to tell you something." He says in all seriousness.

I set my controller down on the bed. "Okay? What is it?"

He's hands are clasped together and he's hunched over with his eyes glued to the carpeted floor.

"I don't know if I should at it. It might make things weird. You might not want to be friends with me anymore." He says, his eyes still staring down at the floor.

"Dude, you're my best friend. Nothing you could say would ruin our friendship." I assured him.

"Uh... okay." He inhaled a deep breath, holding it for a few seconds before slowly exhaling. "I'm- I think I'm bi." Grayson says.

Oh?

"You mean, you like boys and girls?" I wonder.

"Yeah." He says.

I was not expecting that.

"Wait... do you?" I paused. "You don't... like, have a thing for me? Do you?"

"God no." He says, laughing.

"Thank god." I say.

There was an awkward silence for a moment, then I say. "I'm glad you told me, dude. I think it's pretty cool."

"Thanks." He says, shyly.

I threw my arms around him and gave him a hug. "Just promise me that you'll never fall in love with me." I joked, pulling away.

"I promise." He placed a hand over his heart, laughing.

"My brother is also off limits." I warned him.

"Ew." He had a disgusted expression plastered on his face. "I would never. I promise."

NOW

"I know." Grayson says.

I shake my head at him before turning and heading outside.

I can't deal with him right now. I just needed to go home and make sure Dallas was okay.

When I get home, dad's car isn't in the driveway.

He must have gone to visit mom.

The front door is locked. Thankfully, I had a spare key that was connected to my car keys. I unlock the door and head inside.

There's music coming from upstairs.

I follow the sound of the music and knock on Dallas' bedroom door. "Dal?" I called.

He doesn't answer.

Cautiously, I open the door and peek inside.

Holy shit....

His room is a mess!

There's broken pieces of furniture everywhere, along with scattered clothes and torn up pieces of paper. He's asleep on the floor, and there's an empty bottle of Jack on the floor beside him.

Dallas you little idiot...

Drinking at this time of day?

It's not even noon.

The room is a disaster. Like, everything is ruined.