Chapter Sixteen

• Dedicated to Mom- HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!!!

Chapter Sixteen

-------Brody------

“It was about… two thousand years ago when King Triton’s great, great grandfather was human, roaming the beaches of the ocean. He was nameless and soulless as his dearly beloved had perished in a fire from the cruel men who wanted to take over his land. Tired and depressed, he walked towards the water, ready to end his life. As the man stood waist high in the water, he began to breathe deeply. After tying heavy rocks onto his feet, he kept breathing and gliding his feet in the water. Finally, he stopped walking when half his mouth was underwater. He breathed in. It was a miracle. Not only did the water rush through his lungs, but so did the air. The mix of water and oxygen seeped into his lungs, filling them with both air and water. The ocean was going through a great misery as the fish were dying and the sea plants were rotting. Something was unbalanced and this human was about to change it all. His body sunk to the bottom as the rocks in his feet were pulling him to the deeper part of the ocean. The fish that were swimming feebly and barely alive swam to his side, desperate to help save any underwater creature. They were unaware of the important fact that he was not one of them. He opened his mouth, trying to tell them that it was pointless. A red fish, tiny and scaly swam into his mouth, making its way into his lungs. Something unimaginable happened. They died at the same time… it was an instant connection. I have never admitted to believing in one God as opposed to many, for who am I to decide? Yet, some sort of outer help must have taken place because if someone tried to do what he did they would not survive. The human died. He resurrected as a creature of the sea, half fish and half human.

“The new creature was taken by revenge; his body was filled with magical powers so to speak. The revenge he held in was murderous as he planned to return to the humans and eliminate them all. So he embarked on a journey, swimming through currents until he came to shore where he could see the men who had brandished the sticks of fire, throwing them onto the house in which the love of his life sat, tied by ropes with impossible knots.

He could see in his mind his lover, screaming and shrieking at the top of her lungs, begging for him to save her. But he could not, for not far away he was tied to his own post, a fire beckoning him to give into his predestined death. He could not do so knowing that these men would be alive to remember and boast about this day. With a new surge of recently discovered adrenaline, he jumped forward into the flames. Ignoring the screaming that was swelling in his throat and the throbbing pain that was melting the skin on his feet, he kept running until he could make it to his house. Just as he was about to go through with the post still tied to his back, the roof collapsed bringing down its unbearable weight on his treasured lover. 

But now he was back, ready to make them suffer. He closed his eyes and imagined the level of the water rising into the air. He imagined it rolling up the shore and washing away their camp. He imagined it pulling back, taking everything with it. He imagined the men drowning. When he opened his eyes, everything was devastated and there were bodies floating around him.

So he turned into human and grabbed the clothes of a nearby corpse. He then took to shore and walked along the sand and the rocks, looking for any survivors.

There were none.

“After a few days of walking around, he spotted a little house in a forest nearby. He knew the humans were innocent and probably had no idea of what had happened by the ocean and decided to spare their lives in exchange for hospitality. When he knocked on the door, he was greeted by a beautiful woman with deep dark eyes and full pink lips. Their connection was instant. That night, he made passionate love with this mysterious woman. Her name was Marilynn and by the end of their affair, she had promised to wed him. The sea creature grabbed her hand the next day and off they went towards the ocean. He wanted to turn her to be like him so they could truly be together. When they got to the ocean, he had explained everything to her. But she did not believe him. How was this possible? She told him that if he truly loved her, he would not force her to kill herself. And so he agreed. With a tearful goodbye, he stepped into the ocean and she approached him, taking one step into the water as well. Instantaneously, his body began to glisten with dark red scales. His eyes turned orange and they shone. His feet turned to a long tail that reached up to his waist and he fell into the water. As he fell to the bottom of the ocean, he grabbed a seashell, desperate not to lose her. When he shot back up into the water, he noticed she was turning as well. Her body had turned to green scales and her skin a lighter shade of green. Before he could think things through and process what miracle was happening in front of him, his sea shell pierced through her arm, slicing it off. His newly found lover new that he had meant to kill her even if he had promised he would not do so. She was overtaken by an astounding rage. She decided to stay with him, saying their love was too powerful to live without, but she condemned their descents saying that if a merfolk were to kill a human, it would turn into a baby of their kind.