Chapter Two

Chapter Two

—Channing—

I strode down the hallway with my friends. We were doing the typical guy thing, walking as if we owned the world, cracking stupid jokes and hitting on girls with mini skirts. Well, they did the last part, I already had my girl.  My friends hit me on the back, bursting into laughter as I joked about our last party:

"You gotta do what you gotta do" I said to explain why I pretended I was gay at our last party. It was just easier to announce it that way than to tell every girl that I wasn't available. Word got around when it was that extreme. I came to a halt as I approached Mrs. Fuller's door, the Group counsellor. Of course, I pretended I was waiting by the gym which was coincidentally, and luckily, right beside the door.

"Alright man, that's my stop. You know Avery, always swimming that chick" I smirked and a few guys chuckled.

"Totally dude, she looks hot in that bathing suit too" one of them said.

"Back off man"

"Yeah, sorry. I forgot"

"It's okay... Just don't let it happen again" I said sternly. Damien, my oldest friend since kindergarten, knew everything and helped me keep the secret. For some reason, Avery didn't want anyone to know she was in Group. In fact, she didn't even tell me why she was there. I just figured it had something to do with the fact that Avery Bennett just recently became Avery Hart. That was about four months ago but I just kept telling myself there were some unresolved issues. She did live with Miss Hart, the mother who spent her time growing gardens and raising children. I'd lived in this town all my life, so I knew about the four others she had fostered. Now she had eight children and every year they all came down for holidays. Only thing is, she actually adopted Avery and I think Avery is the only one who doesn't call Miss Hart mom.  

"See you later bro" Damien said as he slapped my shoulder and walked away with rest of the guys. I sighed and watched them go. Avery. It was a wonder that she was able to be so calm, so beautiful, and so popular when she lived with Quinton, Brody and Sam. It was also a wonder that she was my girlfriend. The more I thought about her, the more I longed for her. I missed the way she smelled. I missed the way she smiled. I missed the way she held my neck when she was about to kiss me. It was like this little moment of excitement you feel before you jump off a bridge to bungee jump or when you know you're going to win a race and you can feel it. I felt the necklace that she gave me with my fingers and smiled, she'd given it to me the first time we'd met and I'd never taken it off.

The door slammed open and smacked me in the face. I doubled over and took a step back. I was about to move into their field of vision when I saw Luke Hornet strut out with his binder. Luke and I had history. He was a tall and broad shouldered basketball player and a fast and agile hockey player but he also used to be my sister's boyfriend. People say that he's in Group because he has anger management problems. Then again, they also say that my girlfriend is a slut. I clenched my fists and gritted my teeth. How can they say such stupid things about someone they don't even know? Avery is the nicest person they will ever meet-

Suddenly a hand slipped into mine and my whole body relaxed. Avery. After Group, Avery was always dejected. Her aqua eyes looked like they were filled with water and it formed a hole in my heart because there was nothing I could do. She wouldn't tell me why she felt the way she did. I loved her. Like a reflex, I slipped my arm around her shoulders and she rested her head on my chest. I took out my hand from hers and wrapped my arms around her, kissing her head.

"Hey Water Girl..." I whispered softly and she looked in my eyes. My heart melted and I thanked whoever might be up there for letting me be hers. Avery was the only thing that actually mattered to me. "What's wrong?" She dug her face into my chest and let out a small whimper.

"I hate it in there" she whispered almost too quietly for me to hear. But I heard. My heart skipped. Every time I heard the sound of her voice, it was like I couldn't breathe. If she ever talked out loud, everyone stared at her so she never spoke. She did whisper. But even then, it was basically only with me that she did so. I was one lucky guy.

As though she felt the same way, Avery slipped her hand to the back of my neck and my heart began to race. Then she brought her lips to mine. You know when they say that if you kiss the one you truly love, you hear fireworks?

Well when Avery kissed me, it was better. I felt all tingly and I just wanted to hold her so carefully because she was so delicate. I pulled her closely and kissed her temple as she smiled. I loved it when she smiled. Finally, she slipped her hand back into mine and we made our way to our next class.