Chapter Ten

PART three

Turtles can live one year without eating food

Chapter Ten

-----Mia-----

The whole Avery situation was frustrating me. She and Channing had been stronger than ever, sure Channing had a big decision to make, but what was the rush? I sat at my window and watched as they got into his truck. Avery seemed to be more open these days. She talked to him more, and she wasn’t afraid to either. I tapped the window sill and bit my lip. Why was everything so different all of the sudden? I turned around and sighed, massaging my head. I smiled to myself. A massage was a great idea. I looked around my room and inspected the fluffy throw pillows on my bed. Why did Avery get everything she wanted? Especially after that incident from last week… I shuddered at the thought of it. She turned blue… how can anybody turn blue? The only way that would be possible would be if she was an alien or something. I walked down my pearly white hallways and smiled to myself. Ha! An alien… as if that’s in any way reasonable. I walked down the spiral staircase and couldn’t believe the train of thought that was running through my mind.

Avery never talked around men, she turned blue when she touched water, she was so beautiful, and last but not least, she was so desirable that everyone was amazed by her. I remembered something my friend had said once that struck me to the core: You either loved her, or you hated her. Something about that was so strange it was like when Bella was figuring out the truth about Edward.

Wait- was Avery a vampire? No, that was impossible. I smirked and entered the kitchen. Why was I down here again? Oh yeah! A massage! I turned around and walked into the living room to look for Rosa, our maid. She wasn’t anywhere visible. I frowned. I walked over to the computer. She liked to keep her schedule on it because I was looking for her all the time. I peered at the screen in front of me. What? It was already Sunday? No Rosa today… stupid days off. I sat at the computer and sighed. What to do, what to do… I brought the mouse onto the internet button, deciding to go check my e-mails. Then I thought about something… how about a little research? I tried not to act like this was annoying me but it did. Plus, my self esteem would go way up if I found out that she was an alien or something and that’s why she was so perfect. I typed in:

Blue skin, gorgeous, doesn’t talk to men, sought-after

I was shocked, there we so many entries! The same words kept popping up over and over again: Mermaid, Mermen, and Merfolk. What was all this? I scrolled down the first page and gasped in shock.

Legend tells the mermaids were exquisite creatures and had a voice so flawless that when they would sing, the sailors would be drawn to them, drowning in the process. They were beautiful goddess like half fish, half humans that were the nicest beings on the planet- however they were unable to control themselves once in the water and would sometimes kill the sailors they were trying to save. Their bodice would be one tail with a pair of arms. The tail would flow into a dress like hem, hence the invention of the mermaid dress. The mermaids could control the elements in the water and sometimes cause natural disasters like tsunamis, whirlpools, and underwater volcanoes. The humans have never proven the true existence of mermaids.