Dancing with the Devil

"Thanks, John, wish me luck?" she looked at him but couldn't bring herself to smile.  To say she felt sick and anxious would be to say that a Great White shark had a bit of a bite.'  John squeezed her hand as he watched out the window, looking for anyone that might know her.

"You'll do grand." he said quietly, "good luck. Phone me if you need to be picked up, ok?"  he paused and handed her a mobile.  Not the newest admittedly, but one that would do until she got her own one sorted out.

"Thanks." she hastily put it in her bag, then paused."I don't know your...."

"It's in the contacts," he winked, and she grinned. 

"What would I do without you, eh?" 

With that, she got out and stood looking around.  As John drove away, she didn't acknowledge him, other than to raise her hand very slightly.  She watched him disappear around the corner and then stood, taking a deep breath.  None of this was familiar... no, hang on, there! The shop on the corner. The bookshop. She remembered the bookshop. She had no idea how, but she remembered it.

She decided to keep that little gem for later. First, she had an image to cultivate. To see how the land lay in the village. What they'd said - or not said - about her time away.  She suspected they might have been rather quiet about it all. 

Walking over to the nail salon, she opened the door and walked in.  It was a glorious riot of flowers and crystals and mock antique chairs.  The little desks where the magic happened laden with colour samples and towels and all  the usual weird and wonderful tools of the nail technician.  The air was heavy with a mixture of incense and nail polish.   Two women were already ensconced.  One was getting a manicure, and one, it seemed, getting a pedicure. Something that Eve would NEVER contemplate.  Anyone else touching her feet?  No, thank you very much!

From the back shop area, a third technician appeared.  She must have been ages with Eve, blonde and tanned, and a walking example of the finest nailart Eve had seen in a long time.  She was admiring the beautifully painted talons when she became aware she was being spoken to.

"Hello Eve!  How lovely to see you again. Back home for a while?  Steven said you were working abroad now. It's so nice to see you looking so well.  He said you'd had some problems after... well.... we were all very sorry." she put a hand on Eve's arm and looked at her with concern. "Are you alone?  Shouldn't you be with someone?  I mean, after a breakdown... I should know, my sister's had two as you know!"  The woman, whose badge identified her as Naomi, smiled ruefully. "I'm sorry, lovie, I shouldn't be talking to you like that.  It's so bad of me.  We've just known each other for so very long, though, haven't we." she guided Eve to a chair.  "Now, I have a space if you'd like a quick file and polish?  Let me see...." she grasped Eve's hands and looked at them, turning them over and then examining the nails.  Eve just looked at her in shock. Silence seemed to be the way to go so far!

"Ok, so they look ok, just need a little TLC. I suppose the medication can do that to you.  We'll have you sorted in no time.  You look fab, by the way, I love love love your handbag - one of those Birkin ones, isn't it?"

Eve nodded, "er yes, yes it is, and thanks, Naomi, I'd appreciate a little tidy up."  Relaxing a little, she sat back as Naomi started to cleanse her hands and nails.  "So, much change while I was away?" she said pleasantly.

Naomi looked at her as if she were mad. "You not been home then?" she said quietly.  "Not seen... Bruce?" By the tone, something major had happened that she should really have known about.  Eve decided to play the long game.

"Err, actually, this is a surprise visit. I only got back last night and stayed at a pub a few miles away.  I just wanted to come and freshen up before I saw them all." she smiled and mentally crossed her fingers.