One Day My Prince.....

"Eve? Eve? Darling, wake up, please?" Tom knelt by her side, his face pale and concerned.  She'd collapsed in a dead faint without warning.  Well, none to him that was.  She on the other hand had looked at the little tea room, felt the world rush away from her and grow very VERY noisy as the blood rushed in her ears.

As she lost her grip on consciousness, she had cried out Tom...... but it had only been in her head.  The sound of her hitting the ground behind him had been his only alert to her predicament.

"Oh my GOD EVE!"

Tom knelt beside her, gently stroking her hand. "Please, darling?" she began to stir.  "Oh thank God for that." he put his jacket under her head. "You gave me such a fright love!" he smiled "How are you now?"

"Dizzy?  Confused? I - I want to sit up..." she struggled to get upright, her head swam and she lay down again, not caring she was in the middle of the pavement, with a small crowd beginning to gather. "Oh Tom, what's the matter with me?  I was ok in the hospital, the car even, but now?" she started to cry. "What if there's really something the matter with me?" Tom scooped her up and carried her back to the car.

"Come on, let's get you away from here.  I don't think all these people, however well meaning, are helping." he settled her back in the passenger seat and did up her belt.  Darting round to the other side he climbed in and they drove off, heading out away from the city.  About fifteen minutes later, they pulled into a carpark next to a small park.  Beyond that, houses and beyond them?  The Thames Barrier.  An example of modern day engineering at it's best.  Both functional and stylish.  The main point though, was the park.  It had large landscaped areas, ornamental plants and trees and a little cafe.

Settling her carefully at one of the tables, overlooking the river, Tom went and fetched two teas and a couple of delicious looking donuts.  Eve smiled up at him gratefully.  "They should prescribe you on the NHS you know!" she laughed and he was glad to see her face flush pink again, having been deathly pale before.

They sat in companionable silence for a few minutes, sipping tea and eating their treats.  Every now and again, she would look across and smile, every now and again, Tom's heart would leap in his chest.  She really was beautiful.

"Eve?" 

"Yes Tom?"

"Do you trust me?"

"What kind of a question is that?  A bit late now for me not to!" she grinned and looked at him, a puzzled crinkle to her smile. He laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, stupid question really.  I suppose what I meant was HOW MUCH do you trust me?" he looked more serious now and she put down her tea, wiping her mouth with a napkin.

"Alot Tom. Alot.  I mean, I know you're YOU and with that comes a certain inbuilt element of trust, but that aside?" she paused as if considering things "that aside, I FEEL I trust you. "

"Thanks, because what I'm going to say next is the God's honest truth.  I'm not trying to make you feel or say - or do - anything.  I just want you to know.  After all, it may help." he turned to her and lifted her small hand in his.  Turning it carefully, he looked into her eyes. She felt herself falling for the second time that day.  This time, though, it wasn't into blackness, it was into an ocean of blue-green.

"Yes Tom?" she whispered, relishing this new feeling of dizziness in the best possible way. 

Slowly, Tom lifted her hand and kissed it.  His lips warm and soft on her skin. His eyes, locked onto hers. There was silence, in the busy park, surrounded by people and animals and noise, there was silence. She closed her eyes, suddenly realising she'd felt this before.  Images began to flash across her mind.

A noisy building... no a... railway station, yes King's Cross! Wait, there was something else... a cafe.  Coffee and cake, chatter all around. A hand holding hers, a soft voice and... her eyes flew open.  "You were there - you asked me on a date!" she exclaimed "You kissed my hand and you asked me to dinner! Oh Tom, I remember!" she grabbed him and he smiled broadly. 

"Darling! that's wonderful." he paused "do - do you think one day you... you might like to?" he waited with baited breath, not wanting to hope for too much but daring to believe.

"You're so sweet Tom." she raised a hand and stroked his cheek "So very sweet and caring and yes, incredibly handsome" she winked and he blushed.

"Why thank you!" he murmured, making her smile.

"I think - no I know - I would like that.  I would like that very much.  When I get out of hospital, when I know who I am, not just who I would LIKE to be..." she paused and the look she gave him spoke more clearly than any words "I will be honoured to be your date." she rested her hand on his cheek now, her thumb brushing his lips making them both turn to jelly inside. "just one thing, how did you know kissing me would help jog my memories?"

Now it was his turn to be quiet.  He squinted at her, head on one side, one eye closed as he confessed. "I have to admit, I didn't." he looked at her as she gasped slightly "I just wanted an excuse to, well, kiss you. It just seemed the most appropriate way." he looked away, almost ashamed of his actions.  Eve almost burst into tears again - for the best of reasons.

"Tom, look at me?" she said softly.  He opened his eyes and matched her stare.  "Never be afraid to kiss me.  Never." she looked at him and he smiled as if she had given him the world.  He felt like she had.  They barely knew each other, but this, their shared experience and her dilemma, had brought them closer than a hundred dates.

"I'll hold you to that." he said softly, adding in his head "I'll hold you to me. As much as I can."

they finished their teas and walked around the park, hand in hand.  It was filled with people enjoying the sunshine but no-one disturbed them. Maybe it was because no-one expected to see him there, maybe it was because everyone respected him having some private time, maybe it was just the sunglasses, but they weren't disturbed.

Eventually though, Eve grew tired. "Do you mind if we go back Tom? Not that I want to be parted from my Prince Charming..." she grinned and half curtseyed, "But I think it's time I rested, and we need to tell Dr Grant about my little floor excursion.  Be good to catch him before he goes off for the day."

"Of course Princess." he bowed "Anything your pretty heart desires!" he smiled "Anything."

"One day my Prince... once day you'll find out my heart is as black as night and as devious as Loki himself. Full of dark desires and very inappropriate thoughts." she winked and he chuckled.

"Oh I know, my Pet, " he nodded, his eyes glittering and dark, the voice was instantly recognisable "Oh, I know."

As they arrived back at the car, before he opened the door, he paused.  Looking down at her as if he might eat her whole, he repeated "Never be afraid eh?" 

She shook her head, her lips slightly parted, her breath shallow and rapid. "Never"

"Good." he bent towards her and now she was lightheaded for all the very best reasons.  His lips were warm, his breath like a dancing whisper, his hands cupping her face tenderly. They broke apart and they both swallowed, looking at each other. Under other circumstances...

"Time to go" he said hoarsely, his voice stuck in his throat.  All Eve could do was nod.  This was something she was sure she would NEVER forget.  If only she could work out the rest....