Revelation

Eve woke to the sound of Tom whispering in her ear and his long fingers tickling her waist. She kept her eyes closed, wriggling to try and escape the clutches of the handsome but naughty Prince of Darkness.

"Wake up little Princess, wake up! Time to feast on tea and biscuits and then we shall go on our quest. If you refuse to obey me, I shall have no option but to punish you." He breathed into her ear, his voice low and growly. She shivered and smiled,

"What if I do say no? What if I refuse to join you on your quest my Prince?"

"Then I shall have no option but to take you in hand." He stopped tickling her and pulled her to sit on his lap. Her eyes remained tight shut. "I will show you no mercy, I will leave you squealing and begging."  she wasn't entirely sure what she would be begging for, but she was very keen to find out.

His breath danced over her face, and she felt herself melting. This was too good to be true, wasn't it? Seemingly not.  She shook her head, still eyes closed, a smile on her face as she bit her lip to stifle her laughter.

"Oh, my pet, you leave me no choice." He grasped her tightly and pulling her hair aside, attached his mouth to her neck, nipping gently at the skin below her ear. She gasped and her eyes flew open as she felt her insides ignite.

"My God" she breathed as she leaned into his arms.

"You would do well to remember that Princess" he growled as he released her, leaving a tiny but perfect rose-coloured mark. He kissed it tenderly and returned her hair to where it normally lay, covering it perfectly. "Next time I may not be so discrete." Next time? Oh dear God she thought, dear God please!

Tom pulled back and they smiled at each other, eyes glittering. "You ok love?" he said at last, his normal voice smooth and calming after the appearance of their favourite Norse God.

"Perfectly" she slid off his knee and crossed to the table, picking up the now lukewarm tea and sipping it. Like a trooper she gulped it down, munching biscuits along with it. Wiping crumbs from her chin as Tom laughed like a drain.

"Oh love, you're just perfect! No matter what else happens, I don't think I'll forget this, the sight of you necking cold tea? Just for me? What more could a man ask for!" he downed his own cup and winced. "oh Jeez that was brutal.  Right, if you're ok love, let's head out.  We have a hotel to interrogate..." 

She watched him carefully as he drove, taking in every detail, committing it to memory. The curve of his neck, the angle of his jaw, the firm but welcoming lips and the profile that launched a thousand fantasies.  She wasn't sure if it was because she now realised what a delicate and fleeting thing memory could be, or if it was simply just she enjoyed the process of studying him.  A bit of both, she decided. 

"Everything ok?" he asked, not taking his eyes off the traffic.  "You've gone very quiet on me.  I worry when you're quiet." he smiled and she could see the muscles in his jaw flex, making her even more sure she enjoyed the process of looking at him.

"I'm fine Tom, honestly.  Just taking time to remember, that's all." she didn't say any more and he didn't need her to.  He understood perfectly. He smiled, glancing across as he drove.  Yes, he would want to remember this too, always.

About an hour after they left the house, they drew up at a hotel in the eastern end of the city.  Looking up at the front, the logo on the sign hit her between the eyes.  It was the same as the paper!  She turned to him, eyes shining.

"Oh Tom! You ARE clever! We FOUND it!" she was almost dancing up and down in her seat.  He laughed and caught her hand, raising it to his lips. 

"Calm love!" he laughed "Calm!  You need to be able to talk to them like a normal human being, whatever that is these days!  Bouncing up and down like Tigger on Speed isn't going to be much help.  Come on, let's park and go in."

Eve blushed and settled - a little - and they did just that.  Walking through the doors, she looked around. The lobby was a minimal but elegant space.  All pale cream marble, leather seating and lush green plants.  The desk sat in the middle of it, a well dressed young woman waiting to assist them.  She smiled pleasantly, nodding at Eve.  

"Morning Miss...."

She dried up as she eyed Tom up in a way that said 'I know you don't I... OH MY GOD!" Her glossy veneer of professionalism challenged beyond anything she'd anticipated that morning.

Tom headed her off at the pass.  "Morning.... Rose" he read her name badge "we were wondering if someone could help my friend here.  She's in a spot of bother and we think there is a link to this hotel.  Is the Duty Manager available? " he gave her his most disarming smile, making Rose smile and blush like a teenager.  It took all Eve's concentration not to snigger, glad someone else was as susceptible as her. She looked at her feet and swallowed to maintain her composure.

"Why of course... One moment please."  Rose took a beat then lifted the phone. "Kieran?  Are you free at the moment.  There's a couple at reception that are asking to speak to you on a private matter." she paused as Kieran spoke to her.  She nodded, "No problem, I'll let them know.  Thanks." 

Putting the phone down, she turned to them.  "Please, if you would follow me? Kieran Hollingsworth is our DM today.  He's with someone at the moment but will come down shortly." she stood and guided them to a small seating area and they sat down. "Would you like anything? Tea, coffee, water?" 

"Nothing for me, thanks " Eve said, suddenly incredibly nervous.  Tom shook his head "No, thank you though."  Rose nodded and retreated to her desk and sat down.  Tom looked over at Eve and reached over to grasp her hand.  

"It's going to be ok love.  I'm here, I'm not letting you go. I promise." he smiled gently, well aware of her inner turmoil, now reflected in her pale face.

"Thanks" was all she could squeeze out.  The butterflies and snakes in her stomach now replaced by iron bands, tightening.  She started to feel a little faint, the world becoming grey around her. Tom watched as she stared at him, eyes getting increasingly wider.  He knew what was happening - again - and this time he knew what to do.

"Eve?  Listen to my voice.  Eve?" he turned and took her other hand, willing her to stay with him.  "It's ok. it's ok to be nervous.  There's nothing going to hurt you.  Breathe love. Slowly, breathe"  he rubbed her knuckles with his thumbs as he spoke, low and soft, reassuring and calm.

The grey faded and she came back into the room, lightheaded but still with him.  She gripped his hands like she was about to fall off a cliff, not daring to let go.  He moved to sit beside her on the small sofa she occupied, still holding on.  "It's ok Eve.  I promise.  Whatever he says, it's ok."

She nodded and let go just a little.  "Sorry.  Didn't mean to do that." she murmured, embarrassed at her apparent lack of backbone.  Tom shook his head and smiled, then reached down and kissed her temple softly.

"It's ok Princess, it's ok."

Before he could say any more, Kieran appeared holding out his hand in greeting.

"Ahhhh Miss Winters how lovely to see you again. How can we help?"

Eve and Tom looked at each other in complete shock then back at Kieran.

"You... you know me?" she stammered, completely taken aback.

"Why yes?" Kieran looked at her as if she had two heads. He frowned, at a loss what to say.  "Of course we know you. You've been here so often, we feel like you're part of the team these days. Is there something wrong? Miss Winters?  Miss Winters!!"

It was Kieran's turn to look shocked as Eve collapsed into Tom's arms, sobbing. 

"He knows me, Tom, he knows who I am..."