Reasons to be cheerful

There was never really any question whether she would accept or not. Lying in her bed that night, she knew she would say yes. It was just a question of why? Not why did he ask, that was fairly obvious to her – he was just that kind of a man. Caring, thoughtful, kind. Not to mention incredibly handsome she added to herself with a smile. No, that wasn't it. So why was she saying yes? Simply because he asked and she was desperate to leave here? Just because it was Tom Hiddleston? Or because she thought she'd found a true friend? She'd found someone she could trust to go on this mystery ride with? Under normal circumstances, she felt she was a strong capable woman. She in all probability had a decent job – going by the clothes she'd been wearing – and more than likely the fact she was in London by herself meant that she was confident and self-assured. So why?

Because she felt something more. Something more than just a scared need to be looked after. A connection. Yes, it was blatantly obvious they were physically attracted to each other, but there was something else. This would be the chance of a lifetime, of that, she was sure. Where would it take them? Was anyone's guess right now. She just had to trust him and more importantly, trust herself.

As she closed her eyes and pulled the cover up over her shoulder as she settled, she wondered exactly what the future would hold. One thing was for sure, whatever it was, they would discover it together.

Tom lay in bed that morning and smiled to himself. Not that he revelled in her distress, but he found it hard not to be a tiny bit thankful that she needed him quite as much as she did. It gave him the perfect excuse to spend as much time with her as he possibly could. The time would come when he had to go back to work, but for the moment, he was on a short break between projects and could devote himself to her. Devoted. That word, in itself, made him smile. He never imagined he would be one to be 'devoted' to anyone. He just wasn't that lucky. He'd wanted to be, over the years. God knew he'd tried. Tried and failed to find 'the one' that he wanted to do just that with. Be their partner, their lover, their friend and, if needs be, their protector. Devoted. In everything.

The alarm went off with a shrill cry that made him jump. With an energy he never thought he would possess at this time in the morning – even going for a run was a bit of an effort if he was truthful – he bounded from the bed and into the shower. Singing at the top of his voice, he imagined what it might be like to do exactly that, knowing she was lying in his bed listening to him. Hmmm, he paused mid-chorus with a smile, that bit might not be such a good idea after all.  He would really rather not scare her away!

The nearer it got to the time to set off for the hospital, the more nervous he got. It was almost like a first date. His hands began to shake ever so slightly and the butterflies in his stomach began to morph into a bag of restless snakes. There was always the chance she would say no. It wasn't a foregone conclusion from her side, no matter how much he might want it. If she said no, where did that leave them? Would she still want him as a friend? Could he remain 'just' a friend. There was no doubt he wanted to, but the reality of potentially finding out she had a whole other life that wouldn't – couldn't – contain him was something he didn't want to contemplate.  To his astonishment, he found himself jealous of someone who, in reality, might not even exist.

For the hundredth time he walked into the spare room and looked around. He'd changed the bedlinen, laid out some clean towels and nice shower gels in the En-suite and flowers in a vase on the bedside table. He caught sight of himself in the mirror and laughed, he was like a little boy waiting for Santa. All flushed cheeks and bright eyes. The difference now was that Santa was petite, blonde and very, very real. Calm, Hiddles, calm, he said to himself. This could all be for nothing. He tried not to think that way. Tried to be positive.

Eve sat in the chair at the window and looked out onto the carpark. She would know Tom's car before she saw it, the noise of the engine cutting through the hustle and bustle of the morning's traffic. In her mind's eye she saw it, black and shiny slide into the carpark and hunker down in a space. It was a man's car, no sexism involved, it was just a masculine, strong and attractive machine. A bit like Tom she smirked. And, a bit like Tom, she wanted very much to have it in her life. She wouldn't beat about the bush, she would tell him yes, she would come to stay. She would also make it perfectly clear that she intended to pay her way – somehow. As soon as she could. Oh and yes, she would be staying in the guest room, no matter how much her mind screamed at her that was a pretence they could both do without. She had her standards.