WHAT IF THE UMMAYYADS NEVER FELL TO THE MONGOLS?

That's right, what if the superpower of the 7th and 8th century didn't fall to the new empire rushing them from Asia.

For those of you who don't know the Ummayyad was the most strongest Caliphate in the world with a land area of 11.1 million square kilometers. This made it the 4th largest non colonial empire after the Mongols, Russians and Qing. They included the modern day Morocco, Southern Iberia, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, all the middle east (except the western areas of Turkey), Pakistan, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Southern Kazakhstan.

However in 750 AD the last ruler was Caliph Marwan the second was defeated by another Muslim clan of Abbasids who were than recked by the Mongols a year later.

But what if the Mongols came earlier and fought the Ummayyad in 750 at the river Zab, what if the Mongols were pushed back instead of the Abbasids defeating them. pushed back?

In our time line the Mongol General Hulagu Khan (brother of the Mongol Khan of that time) launched a siege of Baghdad the capital of the Abbasids/Ummayyads and in 13 days annexed the capital and the Abbasids fell.

We'll look at 2 scenarios, what if the Ummayads defeated the Mongol army and even pushed them back to Central Asia, and the second one being what if they both peaced out and later became allies against some other foe.

Let's look at the first scenario. Remember this scenario is fully imaginary and there may be nothing similar to the original time line as the further back you go the harder researching things is.

So the date is 3rd November 750, the Mongol General Hulagu has gotten permission from his brother Mongke Khan who was the Khan of the Mongol empire at the time. He had gotten permission to finally invade the other superpower of the time, the Ummayyad Caliphate under the rule of Marwan the second (pronounced marwaan). The Mongol hordes never exceeded 150 000 men as they favored quality over quantity. However Hulagu declared that the Ummayads had fallen in power (due to the resent defeat from Northern Iberia who had France on their side). Therefore he takes a total of 50 000 men with him. It is to be noted that. Mongolia has already reached their height except for the European lands of Poland, Belarus, Southern lands of the Duchy of Moscow and Belarus. They would also not have Central Asia, Pakistan and their middle eastern territories as the Ummayads controlled them.

Caliph Marwan gets the news of 50 000 men closing in on the Amu Darya (Darya is river in the local dialect). Knowing the importance of the river the Marwa would send an army of 75 000 as he was a great strategist and was not one who underestimated his enemy.

The 2 armies would meet on 25th of November on the Mongolian bank of the Amu. They would clash against each other for 3 days and 2 nights after which finally the 50 000 Mongolian army would be defeated, about 2000 Mongolians would perish while 1500 Ummayads would be martyred. About 18 000 Mongolians would be captured including Hulagu.

Hulagu would be taken to Damascus, the capital where he would be tried and found guilty of many war crimes and other atrocities, however he is given the choose to accept Islam as that would forgive his sins. Let's say he is so shocked by the hospitality and kindness that he would accept Islam.

Marwan would than make him the general of a massive army of 300 000 thousand men and send him to capture Central Asia and the Mongolian mother land. Hulagu would agree as he would want to show his brother the marvels of Islam and thus on the 1st of January 756 The Ummayyad army would leave for Ulaanbaatar.

Along the way the army, led by Hulagu who knew the lay of the land, would annex Mongolian controlled Pakistan, Kazakhstan and finally the siege of Ulaanbaatar would begin on the 6th of September. The army would surround the capital after defeating the final Mongol horde. Hulagu would try to make his brother see the greatness of Islam but Mongke would condemn him and call him a traitor. Feeling hurt, Hulagu would continue the siege and 7 months later on the 9th of May Ulaanbaatar would fall.

Mongke would be captured, tried and would be beheaded for his crimes.

The Mongolian homeland would fall and the Ummayyads would grow even more in power. However the Mongols have now moved to China and the new capital would be in Shanghai.

This war would continue for another 5 years until 7th November 781 and the Ummayyads have annexed all the lands of the Mongols making them the largest and most powerful non colonial empire.

After the war the Ummayyads would again start their conquests by probably taking out India, Siberia, Eastern Europe and the lands controlled by the Byzantium.

The world would be a lot different and most probably there would be no Asia for the next 40 to 60 years. The Ummayyads would be the strongest and most powerful of the time and I'd like to believe that Europe would survive as a Muslim puppet continent and Africa would fall.

Let's look at the other scenario now.

So it's the 25th of November and the Ummayyads won the Battle for the Amu Darya. Hulagu would be captured but instead of converting to Islam a messenger would be sent to Mongke to negotiate a peace treaty and alliance for the future.

Mongke would sign several treaties and the Ummayyo-Mongolian treaty would be born.

The treaty stated that the Amy Darya and all Asian lands conquered by the Ummayyads to remain in their rule. The remaining lands under the Mongols would stay with Mongke.

Hulagu was to be returned to the Mongols in exchange for 250 000 gold coins.

Finally there would be a defense and economic pact which states that the Ummayyads would have free control over whatever they want to do with Western Europe and Africa while the Mongols would have the right to do whatever they want with Eastern Europe and Asia.

The 2 empires would than declare the conquest of Europe in 765 and after 20 years on 4th April 785, Europe would fall. They would also probably help each other with the Mongols teaching the Ummayads their cavalry tricks and the Ummayads teaching them heir navy tricks.

I would like to believe that since the 2 empires would have each other's support, they would fall much much later, or maybe they would turn against each other and tear each other to bits.

Well there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading and be sure leave your suggestions for any other ending which could have happened down in the comments! And if you want to give me a suggestion for an Alt history event feel, free to ask in the news section of my profile page! Anyways thanks again, Good day and Good bye! (also I work really hard and research a lot for these Alt history scenarios so a vote would be extremely generous of you, although it's entirely upto you).