Toast Eating and Memory Sharing

'Well, this is useless,' I mutter to myself while I delete a file on Kiku's tablet computer. Usually using paper while planning, researching and testing prototypes, I occasionally use her tablet as stimulus. Flopping back onto the bed with anger, I think about my current situation. This is so annoying.

I've been lying in bed for the last day or so, because apparently I shouldn't be on my feet and "straining" my ankle, otherwise it will prolong healing or something stupid like that. Plus, my sister wasn't happy at all to know that I haven't slept for two days. Kiku and Tadashi were adamant about keeping me in my room, so it was pointless to try to get up again. I've tried 3 times, but Kiku always shoved me back into my soft prison. So, I was researching some awesome polymer material that I could use for the wheels of my bike. Until I saw the price, even Callahan wouldn't fall for it.

Absolutely bored with the bike, I look around my room looking for something, anything, to do. A bunch of textbooks are resting on the bedside table, just waiting to be studied. I scoff at the idea. I'm not that bored. Rock band posters are plastered over the walls, just like in the living room. Contemplating listening to music, I observe the space for the purple MP3 player Kiku bought me for my birthday.

I remember that I left the MP3 player inside the closet, and begin propping myself into a comfortable position. The bed creaks as I lift myself from it and place my uninjured foot onto the floor. For a second, I forget about my sprained ankle and start walking towards the wooden cupboard without hesitation. Stupid idea, because then a jolt of pain throbs through my foot and ankle, and I let out an involuntary yelp. The cupboard is only a few steps away, I decide. I might as well keep going.

Walking towards the closet, I end up hopping on my other foot after two steps. I open the cupboard's door and find that Kiku must've rearranged it, because now the MP3 player is lying on the top shelf, just out of reach. Knowing that my wonderful sister would scold me for getting out of bed, I start jumping on my unharmed foot, probably looking like an idiot for the device. I reach the earphone cords and grab onto them, pulling the gadget with it. 'Yes!' I whisper to myself.

Unfortunately, I slip as I land, and end up on the ground, trying to hold both ankles in pain. The noise must have been heard from the living room, because Kiku opens the door and cries, 'GoGo! Are you okay?'

I roll my eyes despite the pain. 'Obviously not.'

'Here, let me help,' she anxiously answers, and kneels down to my level, giving me a hand. 'You know, you just interrupted my studying.'

'Good,' I reply. 'You work too hard. Nerd.'

She chuckles, lifting me up. 'I'm the nerd? This is coming from the rebel that graduated from high school at 15 and goes to the most prestigious institution in San Fransokyo. We both know who the real nerd is.'

I don't have a comeback for that, so when Kiku forces me back onto the bed, I say, 'Yeah, yeah. Just give me my MP3 player.'

'Whatever,' she replies, rolling her eyes. Maybe we could be siblings after all. She hands me the purple gadget and states, 'Well, I'll go on studying, and you can listen to your brain cells being destroyed. Okay?'

'Punk rock and metal is not the same thing!' I shout at her while she closes the door. I then hear a distant 'They both originated from rock music!' through it, and I shake my head. That argument has been going on for the past year. Classical music lover.

'Oh, before I forget!' Kiku shouts, coming back into my room. She throws to me a small, thin package. 'I need to go to the library, and uh... take out a book on physiology. I'll be back in a few.'