R.I.P. Robbie Robertson

A controversial figure to many, Robbie was considered a brilliant guitarist and songwriter who was the premier songwriter and lead guitarist of "The Band".

The Band was active from 1968 with their debut album "Music From Big Pink". In 1969 the eponymous "The Band", aka "The Brown Album", was released. These albums were considered "perfect", in other words you would not want to change a thing about them. ___ albums followed these, "Stage Fright", "Cahoots", "Moondog Matinee", "Northern Lights, Southern Cross", "Islands" which was their final issue for Capital Records. Two live albums, "Rock of Ages" and "This Last Waltz" which was the soundtrack at their final concert on Thanksgiving Day 1976.

The Band was that rare thing, a "musicians' band". (Little Feat also has that honor) They had the respect and admiration of the music community. Eric Clapton wanted to join them, George Harrison wanted to join them. Eric Clapton essentially broke up "Cream" because he was tired of the music they were producing and wanted, no needed, something different. He carried around an acetate of "Music From Big Pink" and would listen to it after performing to soothe his jangled nerves.

The Band wasn't any one style of music. They incorporated blues, jazz, folk, rock, and gospel, a combination that became known as roots rock. Like the Grateful Dead, they weren't  the best at what they did, they were the only ones who did what they did. Many consider them the godfathers of roots rock.

The Band's story  is a sad one. With fame came the drug and alcohol addictions. Richard Manuel suffered from alcohol and drug related depression and  committed suicide at 42, Rick Danko died of a heart attack in his sleep at the age of 55, not doubt due to years of alcohol and drug abuse. Levon Helm died just short of 70 due to throat cancer. 

Garth Hudson, the true multi-instrumentalist and music major lives in a nursing home. His wife died a year or so ago. He is the last living member of The Band at 86.

I saw the tour of '74 when they toured with Dylan. I went to the concert primarily to see them, it was great seeing Dylan, but I came for "The Band.

I'm not a personal fan of Robbie, but I found him necessary for my story. I I think I would have liked him a little better if it wasn't for what I see as his ego. I won't deny his talents or his  contribution to The Band, he was an outstanding guitarist and song writer and he did help make the Band what it was. I'm glad he's a friend to Dacy in my story, and a supportive one at that.

Say hello to the boys if you see them, Robbie. I'm sure with death all resentments disappear. I didn't expect that you would go at 80. but that was a good ride. I hope you brought one of your Stratocasters with you, or that someone at least will lend you one.