Harsh Truths

~~~

~~~

The next day I sat next to the beach with my siblings. I stole quick glances at Ao'nung as he stood in front of me, casually leaning against a tree. The sun hit his teal skin perfectly, showing off every muscle of his body as he spoke. His eyes looked like diamonds reflecting the light.

"He killed Na'vi and other tulkun," Ao'nung explained to my brother as he spoke of his adventure the night before. I kept my head down on the floor, barely caring for the conversation at all. I wasn't able to shake off the anger I felt from the situation.

"Lo'ak, you are lucky to be alive," Tsireya said between Lo'ak's protests. I only rolled my eyes and looked down at the bandage on my leg. The wound was already healing quickly and I was able to go in the water without risking infection.

As the bickering amongst the group continued, I couldn't help but let my eyes wander back to Ao'nung. A light purple bruise sat under his left cheek, not taking away from his beauty at all. He looked at my brother with care as he spoke. It was as if nothing had happened at all.

Before I could look away, I watched his gaze fall on me. A small smile graced his lips as our eyes met but I only narrowed mine in return. He let out a barely noticed laugh at my hostility and shook his head.

"You guys aren't listening!" Lo'ak complained, raising to his feet and storming off. I looked at Neteyam with confusion, but he only shrugged as Kiri scolded him.

"Why didn't you say anything, Tsu'teyni?" Kiri asked, turning my way. I could sense her annoyance in my avoidance of the conversation.

"I had nothing to say," I stated bluntly while drawing in the sand in front of me. The truth was, I didn't want to know what happened last night. At this moment, my whole family was safe, and that was all that mattered. I knew that with new knowledge, new fears would follow.

Neteyam shook his head at my response. I ignored their disapproving gazes and continued playing with the sand. However, I began to hear their footsteps walk away.

"Hey, wait!" I shouted from the ground, being unable to walk without help. Tsireya, Neteyam, Kiri, Tuk, and Rotxo didn't miss a step at the sound of the voice. I rolled my eyes at their immaturity and looked around for the remaining people.

In front of me stood Ao'nung with an amused look spread across his face. I immediately rolled my eyes at my luck. He extended his hand in my direction with a smirk on his face.

"I'd rather stay here," I hissed, smacking his hand away. His smile widened as he retracted his hand and shrugged.

"As you wish, Teyni," he mused as he turned his back toward me and began walking. He took seemingly normal-paced steps away and had I not known him well I wouldn't have noticed that they were slightly slowed.

I let my options play out in my head with each step he took away from me, and finally reached an unavoidable defeat.

"Stop!" I shouted for him, causing Ao'nung to freeze. He turned around with an accomplished look on his face as he sauntered back over. It didn't take long for him to reach me as I sat there helpless. I was taken aback when he sat in front of me instead of helping me.