Home

~~~

~~~

A round of gunshots beat  Quirach to a response as I quickly ran toward my mom.

I quickly caught eye of Lo'ak and Tuk below me, causing me to swiftly jump down to their level. I scooped Tuk up and ran without looking behind me. Tuk began to cry into my shoulder as I tried my best to comfort her while running.

A sudden rustle in the trees around me made me defensively jump, as my dad hopped in front of me with Neteyam. I let out a sigh of relief, allowing Tuk to jump down and run up to my father.

I quickly walked up to Neteyam scanning for any injuries, shocked that he had left the Ikrans. After being positive that he was left unharmed, I wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He tightened his grip around me in relief at my sight.

We broke apart as we heard the sound of a helicopter not far from us. I watched as the soldiers disappeared into the sky.

My mother soon came forward with Kiri from the trees. I let out a relieved breath and checked my siblings.

"Okay, we're clear. Is everyone okay?" my dad questioned looking at his family.

Tuk let out a cry as she ran into mom's arms as Lo'ak and Neteyam were pulled in by my dad. I stood by myself trying to calm my heart rate now that everyone was together again.

My mother thanked the great-mother as Lo'ak looked around desperately. "Where's Spider?" he questioned my dad suddenly.

"They took him," Kiri responded with tears in her eyes. I was quick to pull her into a hug and comfort her as my father reassured her that he would be alright.

The ride home was silent as we all flew in the realization that our family could've been killed. I couldn't help but keep looking around at them to make sure they hadn't mysteriously left my side in the sky.

Once we arrived back at the base, my mother and father immediately went into the tent by themselves. I stood comforting my Ikran as the rest of my siblings lingered around them trying to hear what they were saying.

I walked over and grabbed Tuk as she fought against me lightly. I stuck my tongue at her in response, as she let out a laugh at my struggle to keep her in my arms.

"I cannot leave my people. I will not," I heard my mother say from inside the walls, causing all of us to stop our movements.

"He's hunting us," my father responded, making Tuk nestle into my chest in fear. I looked around at my other siblings and saw their scared faces staring at the tent.

"Guys," I said earning their attention. I nodded my head to the side, motioning them to follow me. They all began to move toward me as I walked out of earshot from the tent.

"Remember when Lo'ak got sick from eating poisoned berries after Kiri dared him to?" I asked causing everyone but Lo'ak to laugh.

"He couldn't eat for days," Neteyam giggled, earning a whack on the shoulder from Lo'ak.