Sympathy for the Devil

~~~

~~~

"You are no Tsahík," Ronal finally said, taking a step toward the girl in disappointment.

She then turned toward her son and sighed, "And you, you are no son of mine," she said sharply. Ao'nung flinched away from her words as if they had been a punch thrown. He kept his eyes on the ground, deep in thought, until he quickly turned around and pushed past my brothers. As I watched him leave I felt my heart sink into my stomach from seeing him hurt.

"Return to your island at once and do not speak of the disgrace you created today," Tonowari demanded Nì'awve. The girl only wiped her tears from her cheeks and nodded. She wasted no time as she exited the tent with shame following her.

I held my breath until she was gone, feeling that the air was somehow purer in her absence. I looked back down at the slice on my leg and tried to hold back a tear of anger.

No matter how hard I tried I was never enough for anyone. I wasn't Na'vi enough for the Metkayina. I wasn't human enough for the scientists. I wasn't strong enough for my father. I wasn't soft enough for my mother. I just simply was, and that would never be enough.

Tonowari left the tent after Nì'awve with Ronal and my father to 'clear the air'. I sat on the floor with only my brothers in contemplation.

"Go apologize to him," I finally spoke, looking up at Lo'ak with demanding eyes. His eyebrows furrowed at my words in disbelief.

"What! I didn't even throw the first punch that was Ne-," I quickly can't him off before he could do ish his sentence.

"Lo'ak, please! Make peace. Do what you must. We can't afford to leave here." I plead desperately while putting my hands out for aid. Neteyam quickly stepped in front of me to help me up off the floor. I stood leaving my weight against him to not apply too much pressure on my stitches.

"Fine," Lo'ak huffed before walking out of the tent in Ao'nung's direction.

Neteyam helped me walk to our tent where Tsireya and Tuk were playing. When Tsireya noticed my state she immediately brought her hands up to her mouth in shock.

"What happened?" she asked saddened by my state. I sent her a comforting smile as Neteyam helped me sit next to her. Neteyam sat by my other side and smiled at his younger sister.

"I'm getting clumsy these days," I responded while looking at Tuk's scared face. I didn't need her to be afraid of Ao'nung, it would only cause more stress to her.

Tsireya didn't buy my response but I looked deeply into her eyes with desperation as Tuk sat by me to look at my stitches. Tsireya only nodded to herself and dropped the topic.

"That's nasty," Tuk pointed to my cut and pretend to gag. I only laughed as I scooped her up in my arms and ruffled her hair.

"It looks like a centipede," I responded, causing the little girl to laugh at the image.